HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to bowhunting and the forum!
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Jshaun

Default New to bowhunting and the forum!

Hi! Name is Shaun and I just joined the forum not to long ago and recently decided to start hunting/target shooting. I havn't made any purchases as of yet as I am trying to make the right purchase first! I decided to visit the local archery store, "Dicks archery and anglers" in Wichita, KS. They Offered me a Bowtech Tomkat, i think, for $304. Included bow, quiver, rest and sight only. Another bow was the Hoyt Ultra Sport for $538, same setup $6-and-some change for arrows and release and what not... I shot both of them, couldn't tell a difference really except the hoyt was a little smoother, but I didn't know what I was suppose to look for either. I am limited on Archery shops as they don't seem to grow on trees around here so would like to make a choice from either this place or another local shop. I am really trying to budget myself as I am not sure if I am going to stick with it. I really enjoyed shooting in the shop, however, I was short on time and didn't fully evaluate each bow.

I have read thread after thread about which bow is best.. yada yada yada. I know I need to get out more and make my decision based on that, however, I dont have the luxury of having a shop that offers more than two or three brands of bows. For roughly $600 I figured for sure I could get a quality bow. Basically my question is, while I enjoyed shooting the hoyt, is the Bowtech a better bow for my situation? I am a college student and the money funding this venture is college loans. :P I know most of the brands that are currently in business right now are reputable manufacturers; yet, I cant seem to get past the point that while they are making a quality product their has to be some "leaders" in this sport. I looked on Cabela's and found that they sell the same thing that "Hunters-friend" sells pse, browning, bowtech. They sell 'package' deals and they almost sound to good to be true and you know what they say about those type of deals... My ultimate question is, do you think that I am paying a premium for a "custom-setup" from my local shop, or do you think that roughly $600 is a good deal for the "Package" from the local dealer? Ohh by the way, they have a 20 yd in-door shooting facility that I could use free of charge during store hours, just a perk I guess.

Sorry for such a long post but I thought I would fully explain my situation rather than have to make multiple posts.