Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fixed or Mechanical Broad >

Fixed or Mechanical Broad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed or Mechanical Broad

Old 12-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fixed or Mechanical Broad

Rocky Mountain Gator XP 100gr, This is the first time I've used the XP's, I was using the original Gator's w/the bone crushing tip's but, I couldn't find any this year. So, I went with the XP's, I'm very happy with them. I'm hunting with a recurve & you need something that leaves a big entry hole. Most of the deer I've shot have bled out very quickly & didn't go more than 100-150yrds, I dropped two right where they were standing.
This is the hole I put in the one I shot this year, I shot him in the spine directly under my stand & he dropped like a brick! I washed the broadhead & put it right back on the arrow & plan on using it on the next deer I shoot. It still shaves hair!

Old 12-29-2004, 01:48 PM

I like both but I shoot fixed for 90% of my hunting! I generally like a good solid 3 blade head with ultra sharp blades & a super hard tip. I have found this type of setup works on any type of game animal! The 2 heads I like the best are the Rocky Mountain Ti series & the Ironhead 125's. IF I use a mechanical I use a Gator XP for the really big cut (works great on turkey's and coyotes). I also really like the Snyper.

This is kind of my guideline for the type of head I would use based on the animal being hunted and a bow generating between 65 & 70lbs of KE.

Turkey - Mechanical with a massive cutting diameter.

Deer & Black Bear - 3 or 4 fixed blade head (Rocky Mountain TI-110, Thunderhead, Muzzy are all examples of this style of head) or 2 blade mechanical (Gator XP or Snyper) with a moderate cutting diameter. For Bear a wider cut is important in my opinion (TI-125 a good example).

Elk, Caribou - 3 or 4 fixed blade head or a moderate cutting diameter mechanical with rear slidding blades for extra penetration (I personally would not use a mechanical), a cut on contact head is a great option as well (Magnus, Phantoms, Bear Razorhead, Rocky Mountain Tradition are all good examples of this style of head).

Moose - 3 or 4 blade fixed blade head or a cut on impact head. I would not use any type mechanical on this size of game.

I think too many people get caught up in it's either a mechanical or a fixed....I tend to think it's a matter of choosing a good broadhead design for the type of game you are hunting. If you only hunt deer & turkey a mechanical can be a great broadhead as well as a good fixed blade head. Both will work & both have proven they will work. If you are only a moose hunter then a mechanical may not be a good choice. Why not use more than one style of broadhead?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:15 PM

I shoot 4 blade, 100 gr. Muzzy, not because I have anything against mechanicals. I killed deer with mechanicals, and if you are looking for a huge hole, hey, nothing opens em up like a rocket buckblaster. The reason I shoot fixed is this, anyone can put a mechanical on and shoot like a field point. I like to tinker, and man did I tinker, but when it worked, wow, what a great feeling. Just a sense of accomplishment.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i carry both in my quiver. if there is time, i prefer sabertooth cut on contacts, but i wanted to try mech this year, and shot a deer with rocky revolutions. i like the idea of the blades not having to fold out, just slide back into place. and they did a great job.

i guess i'm just wierd.

-moose
Old 12-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

Only thing is with fixed blade is the inconsistent shooting compared to shooting field tips. I prefer mechs. If you shoot where you are supposed to, they will kill deer just as good.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:56 AM

BolognaSniper,

Bottom line is that if you've found something that your confident with, shoots well with your setup and has done the job in the past, there is no reason to switch!! Instead of switching to different b-heads and spending time tuning them to your setup....spend that time doing more scouting and hanging out in the woods. I'm sure you will be much more happy.