Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fixed or Mechanical Broad >

Fixed or Mechanical Broad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed or Mechanical Broad

Old 12-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fixed or Mechanical Broad

Yea I recovered the lost deer. I,ve heard it all now.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:37 PM

"We all know what is going to happen. 5shot is going to come in here and post a link to his site. I will go ahead and take care of that. "

ROFL

I typically take mech's if I'm not 100% sure I can place my b-head where I want. This year I've had problems getting my b-heads to group, and thus, I've been going with mech's.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

i've also had good luck with rocket steel heads
Old 12-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fixed- muzzy phantoms= big cut, huge hole, super penetration.

Mech- Rocket Sidewinders, they work great- nice hole in & big hole out
But there usually a one hit wonder. (bent blades & or furrel after 1 pass thru), but their cheap so I'm willing to but one per deer.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:48 PM

The more moving parts you have the more chance their is something can go wrong.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbuck7

The more moving parts you have the more chance their is something can go wrong.
Yep, learned that the hard way. Used 100-125gr. Muzzy's for years without a complaint but just had to use a mechanical and see for myself. The buck was 15 yrds. away and my hit, though somewhat high, made it through the lungs and piled him up 1oo or so yrds down the trail. Good thing it hit the lungs because the hole, entry and exit, proved the blades never opened. I can't remember the brand but do remember they had a small blade for a point. All I can figure is the blade made just enough of an opening to let the mechanical blades pass through without grabbing anything to pull them open.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:31 PM

I myself tried a mechanical broadhead about 15 years ago and it didn't open up due to the "O"-ring. I realize that these broadheads have changed since 15 years but since then I have taken numerous deer with the "ole reliable" Muzzy 3-Blade chisseled point. Bad to the bone!

I might add, using a Muzzy, you might encounter a few pass-throughs, that's a good thing. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:05 AM

My apologies gentlemen i did not intend or mean for any kind of argument. I have only used fixed broad heads and was just curious. I use Thunderhead 125s. Just have had many freinds try to convince me to switch to mechanicals. Though I have only been Bow hunting for 3 years the 5 deer I have taken with bow, none went more than 75 yards after shot, avg. shot distance was 25-30 yards, complete pass through all 5 times, shooting a PSE 1000c with a 4 inch over draw ,slings them at 261 fps. I was just wondering why some people want to change things that are not broke?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHAN...html:D:D:D:D:D
Old 12-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Don't listen to them, if they didn't shoot super fast bows or if they could tune a bow right, they would fixed blade broadheads too. Good fixed blade broadheads hold up, both Muzzy and Thunderhead are in that ball park. I shoot 130 muzzy. Go back into the tuning manuals and read about arrow balance and flight. It will tell you for good flight and penetration 60% of the arrow weight in the first third of the arrow! Add that to razor sharp blades on a 4blade Muzzy and you are talking dead anything.
Gselkhunter

Quick Reply: Fixed or Mechanical Broad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.