Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Advice sought for shot draw >

Advice sought for shot draw

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice sought for shot draw

Old 12-18-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Advice sought for shot draw

I'm 5'6" with about a 65" wingspan. Right now I have a PSE Nova that is about 3.5 years old, and I'm really, REALLY wanting to upgrade to a bigger/faster/quieter bow. However, I believe my draw is only 26" (now this is with a string loop and mechanical release). When I go into a pro shop such as BassPro, they dont' have any serious bows in the 26" draw length.

I would really like to shoot 70lbs, but maybe a good quality bow set at 60lbs would give the arrow speed/penetration I'm seeking. Would it be a good idea to just try and find a 27" draw bow that I like and not use a string loop? I was told by the archery worker that it's better to have a string loop since it won't wear out your bow string as fast.

BTW, they tested my draw with my anchor point and I was between 27" and 27.5" (this was on a bow without a string loop).

One day, when I graduate and get some extra cash, I'd love to look into the Bowtech bows, but until then, I'll have to stick with a less expensive one. Any thoughts on a good bow in the $300 range? I like the parrallel limb look, as well as their benefits. The PSE Typhoon is about this price, any one with this bow or some experience with it?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions...I'm a relative noobie with a lot still to learn.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: Before someone pipes in and says to just shoot a bunch of bows to see what I like ...that's not really an option, as this bass pro around here doesn't have an indoor range. Best I can do is to draw the bows back.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Advice sought for shot draw

Look into a current year or last years used bows. You can get Top end bows for the $300 dollar range used all the time.

I would venture the used bow route rather than the economy version Basspro bows.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:38 PM

Somehow I doubt I could find a Bowtech Liberty for $300...No bow shops around here so I'd have to find it at ebay. What type of top end bow do you think I could find for $300? Also, tough to find those short draw lengths...
Old 12-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I have sold around a dozen or more bows over on archerytalk this year I get a good feel for the going rate of bows. I don't mess with Ebay for bows.

You can find 03 Extremes, Mightymites, Patriots, in that range pretty often as well as other bows too. You can find some pretty nice 03 Hoyts and Mathews in that range too if you aren't set on BowTech.

Now a 04 liberty is still in high demand so they still go for the $400 - $450 range.

I have an 04 Pro 40 for sale and an 03 AR 31 up for sale there now.

BTW, they tested my draw with my anchor point and I was between 27" and 27.5" (this was on a bow without a string loop).
27 inch DL isn't to hard to come by.

Good luck. Hope you find a great deal.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up buckeyebuckhntr...

As for the other part of the original post...should I go with the 27" draw, or use a string loop and cut that down to 26?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most bows will range over 3 inches of DL or have changable modules to get your correct DL. You can get nearly any newer bow and be safe for being able to adjust the DL to your specs.

To answer you question.

It is really hard to say not being able to see you. If you don't have a real "proshop" around you If you have access to a dig cam take a pic of your self with your current bow at full draw.

A profile pic from the side so we can see how your current DL looks. We could go from there with suggestions on what DL you should try.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:25 PM

If you can get a deal I would suggest a Mighty Might VFT, I own one and love it. I have a 26 inch draw length.

Or you could get a hoyt ultra sport or parker hunter mag. Both are great bows for the money and they shoot around the 300 fps mark for IBO. I would pick the ultrasport myself, I almost bought one when I got my bowtech this summer.

Parellel limbs for 300 bucks is going to be tough, even used I think. But you never know.

A decent bow for 300 is going to be tough really. Think more like 350 or 400 before tax in most cases if you want to step up from what you have (I'm talking new that is, very doable used if you look around). And that's bare, just the bow, no rest or sights.

Next few months would be a good time to be looking, the new bows are coming out and they will be selling the older ones cheap maybe. My local shop is selling some of thier bows for 50% off right now.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-18-2004, 08:33 PM

I forgot to mention darton and proline. They may have a decent bow for around 300 bucks as well. I'm thinking the Darton storm if you can find one. And the proline mountain 30 or 32 from a few years ago. I shot both and they were pretty nice for the money. I don't if they are still making them though.

Paul
Old 12-18-2004, 08:35 PM

i have never used a string loop, and have never worn out a string , but if i did the cost of a new string 2 or 3 years down the line would not prevent me from getting what i want .
if you "want" a string loop, get 1 but IMHO, get the bow you want and skip it , and in a few years you could always up grade again

I think you could probably get BassPro to order you just about anything , question is are you willing to wait, i have never been to their shop so i could be wrong.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:39 PM

I'll get you a pic tomorrow...how do you insert a picture? I see the image button when I reply to messages, but it looks like an html tag.

EDIT:
Lets see if I can figure this out...

Quick Reply: Advice sought for shot draw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.