Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Advice sought for shot draw >

Advice sought for shot draw

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice sought for shot draw

Old 12-19-2004, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Advice sought for shot draw

Heh, thanks. It's 130 acres of woods/thick swamp. I'm still trying desperately to figure out the deer population here...

Sounds like you have some good advice, thanks so much for the time effort you put into explaining this to me. BTW, I saw your post on the Mighty Mite and now I'm hoping to find a 2003 one of those
Old 12-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I must say this pic is a 100 times better than the other.

Your form looks MUCH better and anchor point is in a more natural position.

I still don't like you stretched out index finger though. Try to get it into the middle crease of your index finger if you can.

The Draw length looks pretty good in this pic.

Nice straight head and back.

You also IMO have to much hand into the grip. Try rotating your bow arm out and getting just your thumb pad on the grip.

Good luck with the bow shopping

Check out my signature pic below and check out my hand placement and relaxed fingers on my bow arm and how my index finger hangs over the trigger on my release on the middle crease.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:22 AM

That stretched out index finger is a hold over from what I was taught growing up shooting guns...I don't put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to shoot. However, the trigger is still farther forward than yours shown.

I now believe I finally understand what you guys have been telling me about how I grip the bow . When I first read "the pad part of the thumb", I was confused heh.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

The draw length in the second picture, looks good to me also.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:40 AM

The picture in Buckeye's sig shows what I was trying to describe. See how his knuckles are at close to a 45 degree angle to the riser. If you set your grip like this before you draw the bow it puts your hand in the correct position.

I understand what you are saying about the gun thing and your finger placement. In archery we take it one step farther and have our finger behind the trigger when drawing and don't place it on the trigger until we start aiming.

The reason for having a deeper trigger set is because you want a surprise release, so you actually want less trigger control. I shot firearms for so long I have a big problem with this and try to control my release which I shouldn't. I usually end up slapping the trigger. I should really get a back tension release for everything but hunting.

You should also get a wrist sling if you don't have one, that way you don't have to worry about grabbing the bow after the shot.

I was sitting there watching TV last nite and it dawned on me you were wearing a short sleeve shirt outside! I was wondering where you were from. I guess its warm in Florida now huh? It was freakin 8 degrees here yesterday! You have all that land and it doesn't snow, I don't think I like you so much anymore. Just kidding, I don't care for the humidity down south, I'm a west coast guy myself. I used to live in the sanbernadino (spelling?) mountains when I was in the military, about 60 miles from LA and 3,000 ft above it in a valley. I like the dry heat myself.

Paul
Old 12-20-2004, 11:11 AM

LOL, it was chilly yesterday, think it got up to the 50's

Wrist sling? One of my friends shoots with one of those, and he says it helps. However, I've never consciously grabbed the bow after shooting, and I've even tried to pay attention to what happens after the shot, and I just can't see needing a wrist sling.

But as a couple of you have pointed out, I'm gripping the bow wrong, and perhaps with a better grip I'd find a need for a wrist strap.

So what is the deal with not wanting trigger control? I think I read on a recent post that it's best to aim, aim, aim...and pull the trigger without realizing it. I've just always done it like I shoot a gun, I gradually squeeze the trigger and make sure not to "slap it".
Old 12-20-2004, 11:36 AM

When you get a surprise release you will see the need for a wrist sling, unless your bow has no recoil or jump to it. Try blind bale shooting, shooting at a close target with your eyes closed, or even have someone else trigger the bow for you. I bet the bow jumps out of your hand.

When you control your shot you know when it is going to happen and try to compensate for things subconsiously, like grabbing the bow. Sometimes you can do well and grab it after the shot. But eventually you will start anticipating the shot and grabing the bow right before the release. Sort of like flinching from the recoil of a rifle. Except you don't realize you are doing it. The bow should roll out of your hand after the shot if you have good follow thru.

Paul
Old 01-22-2005, 01:21 PM

invest in a wrist strap on your bow. the draw length looks really close and your form looks real good.some shoot with a slight bent bow arm and some dont.the grip takes time to get used to.but relax the fingers on your bow hand and release.try just barely touching the front of the riser with your 2nd and 3rd finger and let the other two relax. a wrist sling will help you not worry about dropping the bow or grabbing the riser when you release.try putting the pressure of your bow arm on the meat part of your thumb only.relaxed your knuckles should be about at a 45 degree angle.make sure you are not over bowed and concentrate on letting the arrow hit before dropping your bow arm.dont fight holding the pin on target--look through the pin and center were you want to hit with your eye.other words concentrate on the spot and dont take your eye of it until after your release.proper form and follow through takes time but eventually you will see what i mean about looking through the pin and letting the arrow hit its mark.remember when you get tired and frustrated take a break and relax for a while. the more you fight it the worst it gets.make it fun and remember to keep the right frame of mind.good luck!
Old 01-22-2005, 03:58 PM

Wow, this thread was dug up from the bottom of the pile!! Well, since this post was started I've purchased a Bowtech Mighty Mite, and the draw is set at 27", and I love it. It is so much easier for me to shoot consistantly. Here is a new pic of my updated anchor point.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just read through the whole post from start to finish and some excellent advice and information was given.Congrats on the purchase of your Mighty Mite,it is one sweet bow and im glad its shooting good for you.

Quick Reply: Advice sought for shot draw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.