Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leaf River Digital Camera >

Leaf River Digital Camera

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leaf River Digital Camera

Old 12-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leaf River Digital Camera

It says it has a wake up delay of 3-5 seconds..

Does this mean it takes 3-5 seconds to take a picture after it senses a deer?

Or does itmean something else?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Default RE: Leaf River Digital Camera

Yes it takes 3 to 5 seconds after it senses the animal. I was a little worried about this when I first got mine but it works great, I get about 1 empty pic out of every 10 pics which is not bad.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep
Old 12-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, NO Wonder the Batteries LAST so long, the camera is in SLEEP mode..

To me, thats ridiculous, the have to wait 3 to 5 seconds before it takes a pic.. If the deer is walking, it will never get a pic off...
Old 12-16-2004, 05:49 AM

Does anyone know the wake up time for the Cuddeback?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The electronics on a Digital are just going to take a couple seconds longer to "wake up", that's just the way it is. The different digitals I have tried have all had this sleep time. For the record though, the Leaf River is as fast as the Cuddeback and certainly faster than the Stealth.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:15 PM

I was very interested in getting one also. I was wondering how long the batteries lasted and if it was worth paying more to get the viewing screen in it. THANKS
Old 12-16-2004, 07:16 PM

hoytbwhntr, I can tell you that I have never used the viewing screen. I suppose it depends on how you plant to use it. For me it makes most sense to have two compact flash cards and when I go out to "check" the camera I simply pull the card out and replace it with the other one. I actually wanted the one without the view screen but it was a gift from my wife and the place she ordered it from only had the ones with the screen. I am going to buy a second one and will not get the screen on that one.

The batteries last about 2 months from many posts I have read. I have had mine out for a month and a half and am still on the first set so 2 months sounds pretty close.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:56 AM

I had the Leaf River with screen and kept it about a month. I sent it back to Cabelas!(no problem with Cabelas return policy)
The camera was too slow for me. When I first got the camera it took about 5 sec to get a picture, with a little use on the batteries I'd stand in front of my camera for 10 seconds and not get a picture.
The screen was not that useful to me, way too small! If you had a camera with a zoom feature that accepted CF and didn't mind carring it to the woods, it might be more useful.
IMO the only thing this camera was good for is when the deer was going to stand in the same place for a while. Like a scrape or feeder. If 350.00 didn't mean so much to me, I'd have kept it. I think digital cameras have come along way and are going to be much better in the near future. IMO, wait till this summer or next.