Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another question....... >

Another question.......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another question.......

Old 12-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another question.......

Harder to hunt or harder to kill?
Getting within effective shooting range with either weapon and then making the shot count , the bow wins hands down as far as being harder to put it all together and make the kill.

I bowhunt 160 acres by myself so it's easier for me to pattern a big buck and get within range while bowhunting.

During gun season I have six other people on the same 160 acres besides myself so needless to say it's hard enough controlling your own scent and hunting the wind. Throw in six other people in the mix which dont do anything but hang their blaze orange on the clothes line for a couple days before season and it gets pretty hard to even catch a glimpse of the same big buck I've seen while bowhunting.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:50 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Toss up.

A long bow season to be choosier on what you shoot. Actually have passed on more bucks and nicer bucks for the most part with bow waiting for the big one then rifle this year. No pressure at the beginning of bow season so getting one in range or killing a deer isn't that difficult. It does get tougher once duck season starts and the duck hunters are tromping all over. After rifle season, it is quite a bit harder but still have time to get a lot of hunting in. I've passed on well over 20 bucks with bow since the season started.

Rifle season is only 2.5 weeks. Killing a deer is easy since your killing range is extended a great deal. Targeting a certain buck is tougher since the main hunting method most everyone uses is driving deer and you have such a short season. Some are finally learning there are other ways of hunting that are just as productive but there are a lot of die hards that will never change. Unfortunately, most the land I have access to get hit hard by drives. It does mess up a lot of my hunting areas. I hunted most of the 2.5 week season and only seen 3 bucks that really interested me. Only 2 were bigger then a few of the buck I have passed on bowhunting. Course the monster, I had no shot but I did take a 135 class buck. He was the smallest of the 3. I had passed on him the first weekend but he looked darn good with only 2 days left of the season. I passed on 25 or so bucks during rifle season.

Bow hunting is more fun to me, no doubt about that. I do get more enjoyment out of taking a deer with bow then rifle. If the season's length and time were the same for both, bowhunting would win hands down on being tougher. It would really be an accomplishment in just taking any deer versus a rifle. Glad they run the seasons the way they do.

Tim
Old 12-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

A bow... simply because you have to get the animal in closer to make as accurate of a kill...at least for my folks.