Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another question....... >

Another question.......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another question.......

Old 12-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another question.......

This is really a spin off of the other thread but I thought I would post a new one so I could tally responses.

Do you think it is more difficult to kill a mature buck (3 1/2 years old or older), at your usual hunting spots, with a bow or with a gun? Please feel free to explain your answer why it is or isn't but please let's don't make it personal.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another question.......

For me a BOW!!

Kinda hard to shoot a mature buck with a gun when you don't hunt with a firearm

Just trying to lighten things up around here.

Alot of heated debates going on, more than we have had in a long time!
Old 12-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends. Hunting pressure of drives and people in the woods may make it more difficult during firearm season. Always going to be difficult to kill a trophy. They didn't get big by being stupid.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest I don't really know. Its like comparing apples to oranges. Bow season I am almost the only person hunting ( others do hunt the area, but not too often) and I spend a lot of time on stand. Gun season is after our rut and who knows where the deer have ended up after chasing does for a couple weeks. The woods are suddenly flooded with people pushing the deer around left and right. Its mostly a matter of luck if the big one gets pushed by you.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think here in Pa. it is easier with a bow ,because of the light pressure and bow season is in the rut most the time
Old 12-01-2004, 03:20 PM

If you mean that if you could hunt at the same spot under the same conditions and use either weapon (lets just say perfect hunting conditions where deer are present without being spooked by other hunters) I would say a gun is more difficult. But I would not like to try gun hunting on public land on opening day od firearms season.

But like Buckeye, I don't own a gun so for killing a deer with a gun might be a little challenging.[8D]
Old 12-01-2004, 03:30 PM

BOW for me, I know it sounds kind of strange, but here in IL the deer are more suseptable during the earlier part of the Archery season, the Rut usually falls right before the 1st Shotgun season. The hunting is easier, because there is not another person out there, but Shotgun comes around, hunters come out of the wood work, and then I see the deer become more cautious and less eager to move around.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:29 PM

everyone seems to be overlooking the obvious ... range of your weapon. given the same hunting situation unless you can get that deer to commit to come within bow range and not be on full alert your not even going to get your bow drawn on him let alone get a shot.however i believe deer respond to calling here in IN alot more and without being nearly as alert in early archery season before the orange army takes to the woods...so i guess at that time it maybe alittle easier with my bow,but i would never call huntting a mature deer easy.

SIZE MATTERS LET'EMGO ANOTHER YEAR
RESPECT THE ANIMAL YOU HUNT
HOYT USA
QDM
Old 12-01-2004, 08:50 PM

For Indiana in most cases its bow. The rut really peaks the week or so before gun season begins. As those deer get shot at more and more and hear more and more shots they get educated. And educated, mature bucks are tough to kill.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:55 AM

most likely a 3 yr old or older will be smart and he will be a little hared to set up on . . .so i would say bow is hared but things could work out well and he will walk right under your stand

Quick Reply: Another question.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.