HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another question.......
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 01:50 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another question.......

Toss up.

A long bow season to be choosier on what you shoot. Actually have passed on more bucks and nicer bucks for the most part with bow waiting for the big one then rifle this year. No pressure at the beginning of bow season so getting one in range or killing a deer isn't that difficult. It does get tougher once duck season starts and the duck hunters are tromping all over. After rifle season, it is quite a bit harder but still have time to get a lot of hunting in. I've passed on well over 20 bucks with bow since the season started.

Rifle season is only 2.5 weeks. Killing a deer is easy since your killing range is extended a great deal. Targeting a certain buck is tougher since the main hunting method most everyone uses is driving deer and you have such a short season. Some are finally learning there are other ways of hunting that are just as productive but there are a lot of die hards that will never change. Unfortunately, most the land I have access to get hit hard by drives. It does mess up a lot of my hunting areas. I hunted most of the 2.5 week season and only seen 3 bucks that really interested me. Only 2 were bigger then a few of the buck I have passed on bowhunting. Course the monster, I had no shot but I did take a 135 class buck. He was the smallest of the 3. I had passed on him the first weekend but he looked darn good with only 2 days left of the season. I passed on 25 or so bucks during rifle season.

Bow hunting is more fun to me, no doubt about that. I do get more enjoyment out of taking a deer with bow then rifle. If the season's length and time were the same for both, bowhunting would win hands down on being tougher. It would really be an accomplishment in just taking any deer versus a rifle. Glad they run the seasons the way they do.

Tim