Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooking deer

Old 06-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Spike

Default Spooking deer

Thanks guy for all the good replies on those broadheads! I have another question. If you hunt from a stand or a blind and there are deer feeding or bedded in front of you and hunting time is ending, do you get out and spook the deer or just wait them out? If you spook them, will they return the next day? If you have to spook them, How do you do it? Again, I'm new at this so any help is much appreciated.

Cormier
Old 06-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spooking deer

That's a tough and good question. I'd try to wait it out some. But not ahuge amount of time. If I have to spook them, I'd proably not return the very next day. If it were a "shooter" that I had to spook, I'd probably not set up on him in the exact same spot.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 AM

If there are a lot of coyotes in your area, and where aren't there these days, a coyote call does a pretty good job of spooking deer away without giving your location away. Just blow it away from them and down towards the ground.

I've been pinned in a tree before by a big doe on a couple of occasions. I just wait till it's good and dark and she's at least 40 or 50 yards away. I sneak down and put my green light on. I've walked right past them and out on a couple of occasions. I'm told that deer are used to things passing by them in the dark and they'll just sit still until whatever it is is gone.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Trembow
I've been pinned in a tree before by a big doe on a couple of occasions. I just wait till it's good and dark and she's at least 40 or 50 yards away. I sneak down and put my green light on. I've walked right past them and out on a couple of occasions. I'm told that deer are used to things passing by them in the dark and they'll just sit still until whatever it is is gone.
I concur, I wait them out until it's good and dark and as long as you have the wind, you usually can get out without spooking them if you skirt them far enough. Done correctly they can't tell what is walking just beyond the tree line.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Trembow

If there are a lot of coyotes in your area, and where aren't there these days, a coyote call does a pretty good job of spooking deer away without giving your location away. Just blow it away from them and down towards the ground.

DITTO
Old 06-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always wait them out. Here in the mountains and forests, the type of feeding areas I hunt...are usually clearcuts and natural feed like buck brushin the mountains...deer really never sit in one spot like deer might on an agricultural area. Deer here move as they feed....especially mature bucks. I really notice it with the older bucks and does...They learn over time to feed in different spots and move along as they go. I believe its from all the predationthey recieve from wolves, mountain lion, bear and yotes... not to mention humans. They are less predictable this way.

I alway have an exit route planned by knowing how the deer move through the area. Mornings and evenings are much different due to thermals combining with winds to create some crazy winds....Playing the wind inthe moutnains is a completelydifferent playing field than flat ground.... I rely much more on being clean than I do wind direction.The wind swirls here pretty much throughout each day. A constant wind direction for more thanone hour is rare. Light a campfirehere andjust watch the smoke. Deer use the thermals more than the wind directions...in their movements...Again I am relying on being extra clean. I believe deer smell traces of predators daily...Science proves that scent molecules break down and dissipate. Deer know what harmful scent is heavy and concentrated or weak. They react accordingly.I try to keep my concentration of obtrusive scent moleculesto a minimum so that I come across to the deer in my area as someone that has passed by much earlier...or that I am much fruther away. The deer react accordinly...which usually means, I might see them look around for a second or two...then go back to their normal behaviors...I dont think we can eliminate all human scent..but Iput in a lot of effort tomimimize it enough that I haveobserved aconsistent tolerance to me by the deereven by very mature bucks...most deerrarely notice me these days even when they cross my path into my stands. Once they cross that path...well even if they stopand take a whiff....well the pathis positioned in such a fashion that I already have an arrow through thier boiler room!

Good luck, don't let em know your hunting them and you will be able to hunt your areas more often.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Trembow, not trying to argue for the sake of being a smart@$$, but wouldn't spooking them with your own human presence or that of a coyote be virtually one in the same to a deer: predation?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I enjoy staying in my tree way after dark. I love to listen to the woods come alive at night. Then again if its cold I can't wait to get down and warm up with a cold beer. One way to move deer along is to lower your bow and wiggle it around in the leaves. This usually does the trick to get the deer to move.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:50 PM

i would wait it out. you could make a noise like shaking a branch or something. they miht see you idk. i just wait them out.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Banned

There is not much you can do. I spook them with out them seeing me up a tree though. You also should never hunt a stand two nights in a row IMO anyway. Make a strange noise; anything is better than educating a deer to look up at you.

Quick Reply: Spooking deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.