Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking about getting a new bow.... >

Thinking about getting a new bow....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about getting a new bow....

Old 11-06-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Thinking about getting a new bow....

I currently have a Browning Micro Midas 3 set at 40#. I am wanting to get a new bow because next fall, I am going to be hunting big game with my dad. I really like the looks of the Mathews Mustang, but everytime my draw changes, I would have to get new cams and everything. But if I stick with a Browning, like the Rage for example, I would just adjust the draw on the cams. I would like the bow to have an adjustable draw weight ex: 50-60#. My draw length has grown 2 " over the summer from 24" to 26". I am going to turn 13 at the end of this month ( 25th to be exact) and I still have alot of growing to do. Also, the real reason for me wanting a new bow is, I don't think 40# is enough to kill a deer. I shoot 75 grain fixed Muzzy's currently. If I go to 50#, can I shoot mechanicals?

Joe[&:][&:]
Old 11-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking about getting a new bow....

Joe you are still a ways from being able to shoot mechanicals. It isn't just how many pounds you pull your draw length relates just as much to how much energy your bow will produce.

As you said I would look into bows with adjustable draw length via modules or adjustable DL on the cam.

I wish you the best as a young archer and good luck!
Old 11-06-2004, 08:05 AM

If you are looking for a bow that is effecient at lower poundages I would take a look at the bowtech line. Mine works very well at 26 inches of draw. Since your draw legth is gettting into the 25-26 inch area you could step out of the Youth bows and into some of the better ones if you wanted. I have a Mighty Might and am very happy with it. They have a module type adjustment system and start at 25 inches I think, with half inch module increases. Plus you can tweak the let off, valley and draw length in small amounts with the draw stop post on the cam. The modules are pretty inexpensive and a bow like this could last you a very long time if you took care of it. Not real cheap though, then again not real expensive either. And bowtech does have some lower priced bows than the mighty might that are aimed at women and youth archers. I think when you shoot the mighty might you will like it though.

I agree with the above, I don't think your ready for mechanicals yet.

You could also check out the hoyt line up as well, they have a couple bows for around 350 to 400 dollars that are very nice. I almost bought one instead of my bowtech. You could look at Darton, Parker, and PSE as well.

Paul
Old 11-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could look at almost any of the bows in the Martin lineup. Most come with two modules that cover about 5" to 9" of drawlength. Prices run anywhere from $300 to $800 dpending on what you want. It doesn't matter much whether it's an entry level bow or their best target bow, the same quality goes into it. One that has my interest is the new Saber with the TruArc cam. 24-30" draw and can be had in weights ranging from 50 to 70#.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:41 AM

Hoyt sierratec would be a good choice too.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:32 AM

First 40lbs is plenty to kill a deer. Just make sure you put a good hit on them.

I had a lady bring two bucks in this year, both near pass throughs (arrow hanging out the other side) and she was shooting 40 lbs.

Don't be in a hurry to shoot expandables. Fixed heads have killed millions of deer.