Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

thinking about it

Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Default thinking about it

Im thinking real hard about stopping at bass pro on my way home and buying a remington 11-87. 12 gauge3" mag. I shoot an 870 now, but kinda want to go semi-auto. what do you guys think? pros and cons? the only thing i like about the pump is no shell in the chamber after the shot. also how about barrel length? I want an all around turkey, waterfowl, and gun i can use for shooting skeet
Old 03-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: thinking about it

I'm sure it will be a fine gun for anything that you'll want to hunt. I'd look into a 24" or 26" barrel too. You may like those a little better.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 AM

this will be my new all around gun. turkey, dove, waterfowl, and sporting clays. this is where my concern on the barrel length comes in.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I was a little behind you on the reply. I have an 870 Express with a 28" barrel that I've used for everything. I felt that it was just a little too long though for goose hunting and more recently, turkey hunting. I bought an Extrema last year with a 24" barrel and couldn't be happier. It shoots everything from 2-3/4 to 3.5" shells and the shorter barrel is definitely easier to maneuver in the goose/duck blind as well as the turkey woods.

I'm not trying to push the Extrema on you, but rather trying torelay that a shorter barrel might be something to consider. With todays chokesthere's absolutely nothing a 28" gun can do that a 22" or 24" gun can't do, besides take up more room in a tight situation! Check out those shorter barrels. I think you'll be more than pleased.Simp
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM

alright, i appreciate it. I'm gonna go look at them.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two 1187's and I love them both. If you go with one I think you will be very happy.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:10 PM

Buy it!!! You could always use another gun!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a 28" barrel on my stoeger 2000 (a benelli for half the price, id look into them) and it works great for turkeys, ducks and geese
Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The gripe I have with most semi autos for turkey hunting is that they are heavy.

From a waterfowl standpoint, I personally would rather you have a longer barrel, because that longer barrel with start and stay outside the blind... part of that is safety.... the other part is noise reduction when I'm standing next to you and you are missing three times.

Here is my take on barrel length as it pertains to wingshooting.... I grew up shooting a 26" barrel... I have two guns that I shoot for waterfowl primarily for ducks, doves and geese... one with a 26" the other with a 28"... granted, it is only two inches... from a fit standpoint, the 28" gun fits me better... but I can shoot much much better with the 26"... just because I've been looking down one my entire adult life. There is something to be said for familiarity with a firearm. The difference is sight picture and lead is really moot... because if you are looking at the bead... you aren't swinging the gun and you'll miss behind the bird... but I will vouch that will it may SEEM negligable.... it is not. Thats why I have a turkey gun and a bird gun (or guns).
Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 PM

Swampcollie, you mentioned weight of semi autos, I have to make another vote for the Stoeger,, very light for an auto, and not affected by dirt and mud.

Quick Reply: thinking about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.