Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Thinking of Getting Serious >

Thinking of Getting Serious

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Thinking of Getting Serious

Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thinking of Getting Serious

Ok I've been shooting Crossbow for a few years and have had good luck as far as Deer.

Thinking of getting more serious and have questions.

First off I've been using Ten Point Titan,shoots just fine but seems I'm always having to have repairs made on it.So I'm thinking of going to a Excalibur.

Ok I had a Red Dot Scope,decided I didn't like it.So I've been using a single Pin,figure set it for 20 yards,can adjust for 10 and 30 yards.This has worked just fine on Deer.But where I have to do finer sighting such as on Turkey and Hogs I'm always just a little off.Would I be better to have couple more Pins and use a Range Finder?

Ok I use Aluminum Arrows seems if they are used on Game or I miss they are distroyed,can I use another arrow that will hold up better?

I've been using Mechanical Broadheads with very good luck on Deer.Will they be ok on Turkeys and Hogs? If not how do I get Fixed Blades to fly better?

big rockpile
Old 11-23-2007, 01:36 PM

Default RE: Thinking of Getting Serious

As far as reliability goes I am pleased with my Vortex. I really enjoy taking the string off myself and being able to change it with out a press. I was extremely happy with the fact that I did not have to go to the shop and have a serving put on like I did with my Horton. The more I use it the more I like having less moving parts. I read something funny on Horton's web site the other day, they have changed it since they are going to start going vertical now. But anyways they used to say in the facts page all the advantages of Compound over recurve and always gave a plus to the compound. Now that they are selling recurves they have switched there tune and offer the advantages of recurve over compound, I thought it was funny to read it, from them none the less. Your Excal will come with out a serial number on it. The reason is Bill T does not care when it was made, if he made it, he will fix it for free!! The no serial number thing on the Excal was another selling point for me.

You will do better with more pin's. But the first time you can not shoot a a nice buck because of peep sight issues you will regret it. One of the finest bucks I ever had walked in range I lost because of low light and a peep sight, still had eight minuets of light left, but the peep was to dark to see him. As far as sights go, the Lumizone is the finest CB specific scope ever made IMO. You can get some rifle scopes that are better yet for lower light and I think they work just fine on a CB, But the reverse recoil debate is one I am not interested in and has been beat to death as it is in here. To many guys have good quality rifle scopes on there CB's and not having problems IMO for this to be a issue.

I love my Gold Tip laser II's! They are top notch IMO. I was always bending aluminum arrows and did not have a straighting jig. Carbons last me a long time, but I like to retire my arrow after they pass through a deer, they make good trophy's for the wall to me.

As far as Mechs go on turkeys or hogs I can not help at all, never shot at either.

Maybe Randy could chime in and help you with your CB with the issues you are having with it, not sure.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

LOL Hotburn for pointing out how a manufacture puts a spin on things to promot their product

Actually I believe that the only major facture that cams give a shooter is to provide let off when drawing or holding back on full draw. This is not a factor with crossbows as the crossbow holds the string at full draw, not the shooter, but all the disadvantages are still there, but this thread was not about recurve or compound.

I am surprised how everyone says that once fired, an aliminum arrow is toasted, but I have never really seen that myself. I have never ruined an arrow when turkey hunting. I have ruined a few if I hit dirrectly into riocks. Even dirrectly into the head did not ruin the arrow (still use it today). I do use mechanicals and they work great (spitfires) for both deer and turkeys (with turkeys I add Scropios arrow arrestor on the shaft). Though once fired into game or earth, I will replace the blades. My arrows are the standard 2216 and the previous 2117 arrows from Excalibur. As for a scope, I use a regular rifle scope (which Excalibur put on when purchased 24 years ago, before the new scopes were around) and like the 3 pin sights with it. I actually wished that there were one or two more pins for sites (reverse recoil theory is pit to rest with my setup).

Hope this helps, any more question, just ask.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

This is one of those times where a faster bow would suit the job. If you are only using a single pin a faster bow would reduce the drop from that pin, as would lighter arrows, or even arrows with a lower FOC.
To take advantage of the accuracy of a crossbow a multi pinned sight or scope would be a good idea. Crossbow arrows lose speed faster than compounds, so naturally they drop at a quicker rate, it's nice to have a visual of that from a hunters perspective.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ecal is definitely the way to go (I shoot both Excal and a compound) ease of maintenance is a big plus. Their customer support is great, if you ever do need it. They are uncomplicated and accurate albeit a bit wider than compound.
I'm shooting carbons that I make up myself. Gold Tip Lazer II's with 110 gr brass insert and 2" Blazer vanes. Tipped with 100 gr Slick Tricks mags (smallish 4 bladed fixed) I get awesome accuracy and great terminal performance. Carbons seem to be give me fewer problems and are relatively easy to make up and fletch.
As for scopes, I'm shooting the Excal LumiZone on both bows. Great field of view, 5 aiming points from 10-50 yards that calibrate to your bow's speed. And a lighted reticule on demand. U've gotten good service from both of mine. But, they are a bit heavy, like all scopes. I've been looking with some interest at the Burris Fastfire reflex sight. Zeiss Z point is also of interest but costs more than twice as much.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a TenPoint Profusion and a Excal Vortex and to be honest I couldnt be happier.The 10 point was just about right on out of the box with scope and I dont dare to shoot the same spot.Ive recked to many arrows in the past.Ditto with the Vortex after I put the Luma-zone on,thinking of putting one on the Profusion.Not unless 10point comes out with a Recurve.........Iam also happy the way my carbons fly out of both so I have no need to tinker with arrows,fletching,nocks or the Broadheads Ive chosen.....
If it aint broke dont fix it......
Ive had good luck with Slicks and Wasps as far as fixed go......
Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 PM

i'm a big fan of peep and pin. always have been. i posted some pics yesterday of my vixen with peep sights i modified. if i was techno savvy i'd post them here too . there on the excalibur forum. the thread title is "navabow".
i prefer carbon like many. never had problems with aluminum, i just like the fact that a carbon shaft will break before it bends.
as far as BHs go; last year i used G-5 montecs and it did a beautiful job, going through the heart and breaking the buck's right leg. this year i'm going to use the slicks because they were highly recommended by DJH himself.
anyway, that's my .02