Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new bowhunter seeks a little advice >

new bowhunter seeks a little advice

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bowhunter seeks a little advice

Old 11-03-2004, 09:51 PM

Default new bowhunter seeks a little advice

In a few weeks I'll be turning fifty years old. I've done a lot of rifle hunting in the past but this is the first year I've ever really done any serious bowhunting. Let me tell you, I am having more fun bowhunting than I have had for the past two or three years rifle hunting! For the first time, I find I am watching the animal, how it moves, what it eats, where it comes in from, etc etc. It's like seeing deer in a whole new light. I learn something new everytime I go out. But I would like a little advice from some of you more experienced folks out there. I have had several deer come well within range but it seems like I just cannot get the bow up and drawn back without being spotted or, if I'm not made by the deer, they get very nervous and end up browsing their way out of range. Am I getting too anxious? I have been trying to get into position as the deer approaches my stand. Would I be better off to freeze until the deer passes my stand and is heading away from me? Anxious to hear your thoughts.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new bowhunter seeks a little advice

If you can see the deer coming to you, look for a place where their head may go behind a tree or brush obscuring you from their sight so you can draw your bow. If you can't get it back then, stay still and do NOT stare at them....it's like they know sometimes they're being watched....lol If they go past you, a quartering away shot is always a good one in my book, and I'm sure many of folks here would agree. Good luck to you in your new found passion, and WELCOME to the boards!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:05 PM

Try waiting until the deer's eyes are behing an obstacle such as a tree. If you are in the open wait until the animal quarters away from you to draw. Make sure the deer isn't looking anywhere in your general direction either.

As far as the deer being wary, try some over scents. I bottle of Scent Stooper prayed on all of your clothes should do the trick. I even use Contain clothes which hold in human scent. Deer have no idea I'm around.

For an even more exciting experience, try bow hunting from the ground. Just tried this myself and it puts everything in a new perspective. Deer look much bigger when they are standing right in front of you! However, this way is harder and it may be easier for them to spot you.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the addiction that is bowhunting. You should be able to hold your bow in front of you, pointing at the animal, and draw straight back. This minimizes the amount of movement seen by the deer. As said draw when the deer's attention is elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:08 AM

Welcome to the forums Muskratpete,,, great questions you asked
I am new myself and look forward to the responses also.
Again,welcome and hope to hear more from you soon
Old 11-04-2004, 08:29 AM

Always watch the deers body language and draw at the apprpriate time. I try not to ever draw when the deer is coming straight on to me. Wait until it turns and looks back. You may need to be more hidden or camoed. A few extra feet up in a tree helps also. With a rifle you can almost hunt anywhere and shoot the deer far out. Bowhunting you cant. Remeber the more deer you have under you the more eyes and ears. It took me almost 2 full seasons to harvest a deer with a bow. But once you get one it seems easier. GoodLuck
Old 11-04-2004, 08:35 AM

Welcome Pete!

You didn't mention much about your setups. When I pick a stand location there are one of a couple of things I keep in mind. The top three thing IMO when picking a stand location are
1) location, location, location. I prefer to hunt funnels. 99% of sucessful bowhunters are hunting funnels where deer activity is greatest.
2) is cover. Once I find a good location I look for a tree 25-30 yards from where I expect the deer to travel that offers good cover. (I don't want to be right on top of them but I want then within comfortable range.) A spruce tree behind you, a clump of trees that hide your outline, or often times I set up in big old spruce trees that I can trim out shooting lanes from.
3) shooting lanes. (you can create your own on your own propery or with land owner permission) From my stand I want to have 2 preferably 3 distinct shooting lanes. Once the deer passes through a lane I want to be able to see it but I want it partially obscured. As long as you have decent cover (harder later in the year when the folage drops) between you and the deer you can get drawn and be ready for the deer when it steps into your lane. In hardwood forrest this can be tough but as long as you have a good tree or two in front of you, you can draw without being detected.

IMO picking the right place for your stand is critical.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:53 AM

Well i think every bowhunter out their has found out the hard way on how to draw on deer. The truth is everybody is a little different on waiting till they think that the opportune time has presented itself..I always look at the body language especially the ears they will tell you what the deer is paying attention to. If you ever watch deer real close their heads may be down nibbling on grass but if their ears are honing in on you wait till they scan around for other things to catch their attention. Usually a squirrel or other deer, sometimes even just time will make them get distracted...And trust me i have found this all out the hard way but i have yet to be spotted till after the shot since....Nock on wood...Anyway good luck
Old 11-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's very difficult to draw on a deer coming in to you. If it's heading in wait untill it crosses in front of you and quarters away or odds are a lot better of you getting busted. Limit your bow movement like someone already said. Try not to make abrupt movements when swinging your bow to the deer. Get the bow in line with the deer and draw straight back and now you only need to make subtle movements to complete the shot.
IMO a big key to the whole thing is early detection. If you can spot the deer at a good distance away you're that much farther ahead of the game. Be alert and try not to have them appear on top of you all of the sudden. When I started bowhunting I used to have the bad habbit of seeing a deer and feeling a need to do something right away. (stand, grab the bow, etc....). 10 out of 10 times I'd get busted and couldn't figure out how the heck I spooked them. I'd suggest early detection and observing the deer. Pick the right time to make your move. Like others have said, watch the body language closely.
Another tip that I have seemed to adopt when drawing: I like to draw when the deer puts his head down to the ground. If the deers head is up he is scanning,smelling, or trying to detect something. I try to draw when his attention has shifted to browsing or eating. Don't get me wrong, I've been busted several times while drawing when his head is down too. But, a lot of times they'll pick their head up and look at where the noise came from. At this point you are at full draw and staying dead still. Hopefully the deer doesn't detect anything further and rejects the noise or movement as danger and goes back to what he was doing and you got him.
Scent control is huge also. Use the proper scent control and play the wind. Dont' give the deer anymore reasons to be on max. alert.
good luck to ya welcome to the world of bowhunting.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:13 AM

Having started out rifle hunting, I feel your pain. When rifle hunting, you want to be sitting with your back against coverage, but wide open in front. Bow hunting is much more difficult... Not only do you want coverage behind you to mask your shape, but you need enough cover in front of you to cover your draw -- but not too much that you can't get a clean shot. Very hard.

I heard a rumor that horses and deer are looking where their ears are pointing. Anyone have any reliable info on this? From the horses I've been around, it seems to hold true -- or maybe they just follow you with their ears and not their eyes... Just a thought.

Good luck! THe changeover from gun hunting is hard, but the rewards are so much greater!

Quick Reply: new bowhunter seeks a little advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.