HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new bowhunter seeks a little advice
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 08:35 AM
adams

Default RE: new bowhunter seeks a little advice

Welcome Pete!

You didn't mention much about your setups. When I pick a stand location there are one of a couple of things I keep in mind. The top three thing IMO when picking a stand location are
1) location, location, location. I prefer to hunt funnels. 99% of sucessful bowhunters are hunting funnels where deer activity is greatest.
2) is cover. Once I find a good location I look for a tree 25-30 yards from where I expect the deer to travel that offers good cover. (I don't want to be right on top of them but I want then within comfortable range.) A spruce tree behind you, a clump of trees that hide your outline, or often times I set up in big old spruce trees that I can trim out shooting lanes from.
3) shooting lanes. (you can create your own on your own propery or with land owner permission) From my stand I want to have 2 preferably 3 distinct shooting lanes. Once the deer passes through a lane I want to be able to see it but I want it partially obscured. As long as you have decent cover (harder later in the year when the folage drops) between you and the deer you can get drawn and be ready for the deer when it steps into your lane. In hardwood forrest this can be tough but as long as you have a good tree or two in front of you, you can draw without being detected.

IMO picking the right place for your stand is critical.