HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new bowhunter seeks a little advice
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 09:13 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: new bowhunter seeks a little advice

It's very difficult to draw on a deer coming in to you. If it's heading in wait untill it crosses in front of you and quarters away or odds are a lot better of you getting busted. Limit your bow movement like someone already said. Try not to make abrupt movements when swinging your bow to the deer. Get the bow in line with the deer and draw straight back and now you only need to make subtle movements to complete the shot.
IMO a big key to the whole thing is early detection. If you can spot the deer at a good distance away you're that much farther ahead of the game. Be alert and try not to have them appear on top of you all of the sudden. When I started bowhunting I used to have the bad habbit of seeing a deer and feeling a need to do something right away. (stand, grab the bow, etc....). 10 out of 10 times I'd get busted and couldn't figure out how the heck I spooked them. I'd suggest early detection and observing the deer. Pick the right time to make your move. Like others have said, watch the body language closely.
Another tip that I have seemed to adopt when drawing: I like to draw when the deer puts his head down to the ground. If the deers head is up he is scanning,smelling, or trying to detect something. I try to draw when his attention has shifted to browsing or eating. Don't get me wrong, I've been busted several times while drawing when his head is down too. But, a lot of times they'll pick their head up and look at where the noise came from. At this point you are at full draw and staying dead still. Hopefully the deer doesn't detect anything further and rejects the noise or movement as danger and goes back to what he was doing and you got him.
Scent control is huge also. Use the proper scent control and play the wind. Dont' give the deer anymore reasons to be on max. alert.
good luck to ya welcome to the world of bowhunting.