Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 neat little trick! >

neat little trick!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

neat little trick!

Old 11-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default neat little trick!

While was hunting in a ground blind this week I had a 6pt approach me from the down wind side. I used the home made scent control spray and it seemed to work well but I was still concerned I would get winded. So as the buck got downwind of me I pulled out my little spray bottle of regular not in heat doe pee and gave a few sprits into the air. That buck got a whiff of that and came with in 20 yds down wind of me looking for the doe. I wish I could say I got him but there was brush and trees in the way and he wandered off after mulling around for a short. Last night I saw another buck about 100 yds down wind of me I tried grunting and the doe in heat bleat, neither worked so I tried the doe pee again. He closed to about 50 yds out then moved on after looking for the doe and not finding her.
What surprised me the most is how quickly the bucks responded.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:08 PM

Default RE: neat little trick!

The nose of a whitetail can be it's best defense and also it's weakest. It's all about how you can manupliate it. It sounds like you've got it figured out. I'll have to try it the next time I have a shooter down wind. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:11 PM

Those noses are awesome,, that is for sure. Thanks for the tip,, i'll definitely remember to use this.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:53 PM

Now that you mention it, it sounds like a very good idea!

Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

another neat trick is to use the vegetation around you.Just did that today. took some pine branches from the tree and squashed it up.so everything smelled like piney woods.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:43 PM

Default What was the brand name of the doe pee?Thanks

It always heps to know what brands work.I carry a small bottle with me in case I get a doe.Nothing like the real thing!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I do the same with the pee and the vegitation. I take the pine or cedar bows and rub them all over my camo. Nothing like smelling like the woods or better yet the tree you are sitting in!!!