Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Slick Trick Razor Trick Hunting Test >

Slick Trick Razor Trick Hunting Test

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Slick Trick Razor Trick Hunting Test

Old 10-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Slick Trick Razor Trick Hunting Test

Yesterday, Saturday the 4th was opening bow season for us here in Virginia. I had bought some of the Slick Tricks new Razor Tricks to try out hunting since I prefer a "cut on contact" type of broadhead. I have been impressed with them target practicing but I figured hunting would really tell the tale. While in my stand in the morning I saw eleven deer, 2 bucks and 9 doe's, but only three of the doe's offered me a shot. The bigger of the three doe's was the closest but she had also spotted me in my stand while I was facing the opposite way watching the two bucks. After the normal "head bobbing" and stamping of her feet, she nervously moved behind a very large red oak tree and I quickly changed direction and started aiming my crossbow. She didn't come out for a broadside shot but rather was heading away from me for a quartering shot. She was only 15 yards so I took the shot. She jumped up and took off. I could see my arrow and it was sticking out of the ground like I had missed. When I came down I saw it was a complete pass through, the blood trail was immediate and she only went about 40 yards from my stand. The arrow hit her to the left of her spine and exited out at the bottom of her neck. The size of the holes was amazing compared to how small the heads look. I was not able to take any photo's of the holes as my old Kodak 3.1 megapixel Easyshare went blank and is D.O.A. It was so warm that we had to process her right away so we could continue to hunt the afternoon.

I am very impressed with this broadhead. The route of it's travel was not the shortest or easiest by any longshot. It hit some bone on it's way through and then into the ground well past the broadhead. The two main blades are still quite sharp and I believe I could touch them up for another hunt. The two smaller blades were dulled and are now no longer straight edged and I'm not sure if I could sharpen them back into service but I'm going to try. The screw holding them together is still tight and both blades are still tight together. I will be taking some photos of them after I get myself a new digital camera to try and show the effect on the blades.

The Razor Tricks were shot from an Excalibur / Bear Buckmasters Maxpoint travelling at 324 fps. The arrow is a 20" Gold Tip Lazer II with 2" Bohning Blazers and with the 100 grain Razor Trick it weighs in at 401 total grains
Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick Razor Trick Hunting Test

congrats on getting the nanny
Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick Razor Trick Hunting Test

Congrats