Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tell about something neat you saw? >

Tell about something neat you saw?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell about something neat you saw?

Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Tell about something neat you saw?

I have been hunting long enough to have seen several neat things in the woods but one in paticular stands out.
I was hunting the edge of a corn field and noticed a squirrell picking acorns from the woods floor and taking them into the corn field right in front of me and burrying them. He/she did this 6 or 8 times and then while burrying one of them it just stopped, frozen stiff. I thought maybe it saw me the way it was acting and then out of knowhere a hawk flew in and picked it up off the ground and landed in a tree about 30 yards from me. The hawk ate some of it and then just dropped it. Nature is awesome. I wish PETA would have seen it so they could spend some time getting hawks to leave the squirrels alone.

I also saw a squirrell fall out of a tree and land on a rock in a spring and knock itself out for about 30 seconds. I seemed to be OK after it came to it's sences... That was pretty funny too.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Default RE: Tell about something neat you saw?

I sawa half grown bob cat chase a squirrel up a small tree once......Bout 10 feet off the ground, the cat fell out of the tree.......Yes, it landed on it's feet.....
Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got to see a squirrel attack a deer for the corn!!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 PM

It's the little things like that I'm sure I'll be thinking about when I'm on my death bead. There is just no way a human can have too many cool memories like these in one lifetime.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a full grown groundhog 20 ft up in the crotch of a tree. It was directly across from my stand at eye level about 30 yds away. I know groundhogs don't climb trees, so the only other explanation would be that a hawk or another bird of prey grabbed him and took him up there. It still was wierd because he was a big boy, full grown, and completely alive and aware of his surroundings(not wounded or hurt from what I could see). He just sat there for the duration of my evening sit, stuck in a very small crotch in a very thin tree(the trunk was about 4-5" in diameter). When darkness fell I just left the woods. I returned the next morning to see if he was still there, but somehow he was gone...........maybe he just fell to the ground, or a hawk or an owl grabbed him.......Whatever got him had their hands full,.......he was a good 10-12 lbs.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 Years ago I was Bow hunting in a older homemade deer stand early in the morning when I heard something running through the woods about 100 yards down the hill and to my right side,I saw a Bobcat chasing a Doe through the thick woods.The Doe ran up towards me and the Bobcat stopped down the hill side in the thick cover,there was a small Lake just 40 yards in front of my stand and the Doe run up the back side of the dam,stood there for a few secondsand walked down into the water and swam across the Lake,she walked out of the water and on the bank and ran off through the woods on the other side while blowing as she ran.While I was shook up watching all this take place I tried a Fawn call to try and get the Doe to walk towards me on the dam but she was trying to get as far away from the Bobcat as possible and the Bobcat dissapeared in the thick cover.I was hoping the Bobcat would respond to the Fawn call even though the Doe had ran but he never did so I didn't get a shot at him either....but it was awesome to see a sight like that in the woods.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I had 2 big owl's flying after each other threw the wood's.And on about there 3rd pass one hit my bow hanging on my bow hook.Lucky for me it stayed hooked.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: pigiron

I saw a full grown groundhog 20 ft up in the crotch of a tree. It was directly across from my stand at eye level about 30 yds away. I know groundhogs don't climb trees, so the only other explanation would be that a hawk or another bird of prey grabbed him and took him up there. It still was wierd because he was a big boy, full grown, and completely alive and aware of his surroundings(not wounded or hurt from what I could see). He just sat there for the duration of my evening sit, stuck in a very small crotch in a very thin tree(the trunk was about 4-5" in diameter). When darkness fell I just left the woods. I returned the next morning to see if he was still there, but somehow he was gone...........maybe he just fell to the ground, or a hawk or an owl grabbed him.......Whatever got him had their hands full,.......he was a good 10-12 lbs.
I thought groundhog's could climb, I've seen them on fence posts before. Not to take anything away from your story, that is really cool. I have seen a coyote try to stalk a full grown deer before, I have a video of it but you can barely make out the coyote in the grass. He finally got close enough to the deer and realized he didn't want any part in that fight.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 PM

I watched/recorded these three young bucks spar one evening several Septembers ago. Some of the members who have been here awhile may remember these photos.

It was one of the cooler things I've seen.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Wash:

I watched 6 young bucks involved in 4 separate sparring bouts one afternoon. I made a post right after that......calling it my greatest day afield. That was a good one....

But.....I saw a bunch of guys meander through here one day......and saw one of my favorite members ask them if they wore square hunting hats.

THAT was the best.

Quick Reply: Tell about something neat you saw?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.