Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck funnel?

Old 09-15-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Buck funnel?

This is a shot from the eastern side of a park I plan on hunting this Oct. 1 : )

What do you guys think of the funnel on the eastern side of the swamp.There is a 10 foot fence right next to the road that runs north and south the entire length. The swamp is in a deep hole that is not seen to well from the air. I would say its about 100 foot to the bottom where the water is.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buck funnel?

Several questions come up...how wide is that between the swamp and the road? Yes, it appears to be a nice funnel that forces deer to circle the swamp but as you stated, the fence runs with the road right? Does it turn with it as well towards the tail end (bottom) of the pic? Now I' m assuming you know the deer to travel that area in order to move around the swamp but what I have to ask then is, do you know the purpose of the movement...ie to feeding or bedding areas. Again, I don' t know the size of the land your talking about. Depending on the distance between the swamp and the road, I' m liking stand placements either at the top or bottom of the swamp where they would need come around to follow the fence/road down. The other thing I would seriously look for is anywhere they' ve found an easy way to cross the fence/road because they have to be doing it somewhere.

Tough to say from just looking and no scouting....let us know.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:23 PM

try to find a low place in the fence the deer should be travelin over the fence somewhere. it will work.

the best never rest.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:11 PM

I' ve never been on the east side of that swamp, I go around the west quite often, as their is a mountain bike trail that follows it. The fenceline does follow the road. I would say there is 50 to 75 yards max from the east side of the swamp to the fenceline. There is a pine forest to the north and I see doe in there quite often. As far as a food source goes, there is an abundant source on the west side of the park (about a mile or so away) not so much on the east. I' ve heard that big bucks have wet feet, so I thought I might place a stand near the north side of this swamp .

Along the northern side of the lake you can see the beach (its around 200 yards long just as reference.) There is alot of swamp along the whole eastern side of the lake and I have seen a couple of bucks while riding in the area.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:30 AM

I would hunt the narrow place between the island and mainland! I bet the bucks hang out and bed up on that island.

Are those fields east of the road? That would be a good place for them to feed at night and then go back to the swamp to bed. It may be worth a try. Also there looks to be a draw or bottom that leads to the road and close to the fields on the other side. Setting up along that could be promising as well. Right were it looks like three fingers coming together.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

i would check out the narrowest spot between the swamp and the fence. which appears to be just northwest of the road running east and west. if the deer are hanging around that swamp why not try and catch them at the narrowest spot. north and south of that appears to be hundreds of yards wide where they can easily slip by you. of course, watch the wind with stand placement and good luck hunting.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-16-2003, 08:48 PM

I thought about setting up a ground blind or two, as there are old entrenchments dug into the terrain. It was used as a training ground for WWII soldiers. There are a couple of places I could ambush deer walking by [>:]