HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do u hunt a Funnel
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Talondale
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do u hunt a Funnel

Also try to think of the less obvious funnels. Jetblast had it right about breaks in fencelines. I have an old fence and plan on making strategic breaks in it so that the deer will hit them. Technically I should say I plan on repairing all the other breaks and leave two open. All the deer trails lead to existing breaks. Another overlooked, or unmentioned, funnel are ones that exist inside the woods. If you have hardwoods and inside those hardwoods is an understory of pines bucks will often travel inside the pines for cover. I've hunted fingers of pines that travel downhill inside hardwood forests and they're virtual highways! Even small depressions inside a mature forest get preferential treatment. There's a small "ditch" that goes down my property, maybe 3 feet deeper than surrounding ground level and the deer run up and down it regularly. Anything that affects deer travel patterns and restricts it to certain areas can be considered a funnel. Hunt on the downwind side of the narrowest area, or where you see intersecting trails.