Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scentlok story.......... >

Scentlok story..........

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scentlok story..........

Old 10-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scentlok story..........

There are a lot of rich, fat & happy people because of this well orchestrated gimmick. It's a waste of money. I've never used it and had lots of deer downwind, upwind, and no wind within less than 20 yards. I think it has a lot to do within what circumstance a deer first encounters the "human" scent as it approaches you in the field. Has it been spooked in that area before by humans which would cause it to be leery, are you grunting, rattling, bleating, or anything else which could turn that deers nose on to "super-vac" that begins sucking in every bit of oxygen so as to purposely taste, smell, and scan every single molecule it can to determine just who or what is making that sound. It seems to me that if deer are calm and relaxed and in a "chilled" mode, they can be downwind and not spook. On the other hand, I guess I've even rattled bucks in that were so pumped about fighting that they busted in from downwind and came to within range. It's all circumstantial. I can't think of too many times where I was busted, that it wasn't from the deer seeing me first and smelling me second that caused the bust. Regardless, this is an argument that can't ever possibly be solved because deer can't talk...except silentassassin...who is part monster hawg buck and I believe him and approve of his message.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

except silentassassin...who is part monster hawg buck and I believe him and approve of his message.
lmao
Old 10-21-2004, 02:35 PM

Will Scent Lok, unscented soaps, sprrecent suits, overall cleanliness, etc., etc., reduce the amount of scent disbursed? Absolutely. Will any of these reduce it enough to make a difference in whether you are winded? Not in my experience so therefore my opinion is it is all a waste of time/effort/resources. But As already mentioned, if it makes you feel more comfortable/prepared, who am I to say its wrong for you. Just not for me.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't imagine anyone being NAIVE enough to think scent lok alone is a cure all. If it was everyone would own it. Scent minimizing clothing works great in conjunction with an already savvy approach to scent control ie... washing of hunting clothes, showering, spraying down, wearing rubber boots.

Personally I use scent lok for one purpose..... Additional protection against scent molecules that may be considered by a deer as dangerous or alarming and thats subjective to each and every individual deer.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silent, I haven't read all the replies but, I'll offer a story of mine. I was on the ground, surrounded by five does one day. I was wearing a Scent Lok Savanna suit, and none of them smelled me. I do other things to reduce scent, also.