Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Awesome Hunting Experience Yesterday! >

Awesome Hunting Experience Yesterday!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Awesome Hunting Experience Yesterday!

Old 10-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default Awesome Hunting Experience Yesterday!

I will try to be short, but I wanted to share my story with you. It was really an exciting hunt. As many of you know, I live in Florida, home of the dog sized bucks. We don't have a lot of deer, but occassionally I stumble into a decent one, as I did yesterday.

I parked my truck and began my typical 1/4 mile hike to my stand. Within 30 yds of my truck, I heard the Saw Palmetto's rustling. I thought it was an armadillo, which often do this. I already put my release on and nocked an arrow, just in case i bumped into something. How lucky I was.

I stopped and watched the palmetto bush rustling at only 13 yds in front of me. I began to think it was something larger b/c the limbs were shaking too much. I continued to watch closely when suddenly, a huge 8 point rack popped out of the palmetto bush. I couldn't believe it. I ducked behind a bush and drew back, settling the pin, only to realize there was too many limbs in my path. I moved 10 feet to my right thinking the buck would pop out on the right and I would have a clean shot. I am standing in the open, waiting for him to step out, which would be exactly 10 yds from me, broadside. I was concerned about my lack of cover, but thought I would have enough time to release. After a minute, the huge rack popped out and I drew back and began to settle the pin. However, the vitals were covered by palmetto frawns so i needed him to take one more step. About that time, he saw me standing there and in an instant, was gone before i could ever pull the release. I know, a disappointing ending. I was tore up over this and don't know exactly what I could have done differently but I was worried about making a bad shot, one that was deflected by brush but i suppose i could have made it. I thought he would stop and stare for a few seconds but he didn't. As soon as he saw me, he was instantly gone.

Though a disappointing ending, it was incredible to be that close to such a nice buck.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Awesome Hunting Experience Yesterday!

Great story. Sounds like your going to have to hunt that area hard and take him out of there before someone else does.

Goodluck in your future hunts for him.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm smelling a sand bagger. Which team are you on? Just a few weeks ago you we're complaining about thew storms and not getting out to hunt.

I'm glad to hear your got out and saw something nice. Good luck in getting him.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:47 PM

there is always tommorow lol good luck!
Old 10-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

good story , good luck
Old 10-11-2004, 10:05 AM

Good luck Florida and nice story = Great incentive for going to get him