Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Awesome Experience >

Awesome Experience

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Awesome Experience

Old 01-18-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Awesome Experience

This past elk season my dad had me set up about 20 yards in front of him, i was kneeled down behind a bush with cover sent and i had some elkfire on. Well we saw some movement through the trees and my dad threw out a couple of cow calls, i was high on adrenaline with high hopes of it being a big bull elk, well the cow came running at me, i was to shocked to move and my dad thought she was going to trample me, but she stopped right in front of me, i could hear her breathing, and she was so close i could see the bristles on her nose. I had already had an arrow knocked by the time she came running up to me, and she stuck her nose out and started rubbing it up and down my broadhead!! After a rubbing it up and down a few times she turned around and just kinda of trotted off. I wish we would have been able to tape this becuase i dont think i will ever be able to experience that again!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Awesome Experience

WOW! I think I would have messed myself.[]
Old 01-18-2004, 02:53 PM

Archer 18,

I have had an experience similar to this. It was in 2002. My dad and I were walking down a powerline road and we were gonna bugle from a saddle about a half a mile up the road. Well out of the trees came a cow elk. I ducked down and my dad ran back around the corner and called a couple of times and a whole herd of elk started coming my way. I was sitting there listening to them when I caught movement from above and behind me. Then there he was, a little 4 point bull. He just came out of nowhere. He ended up like maybe 5 feet from me but I couldn't draw my bow or anything. He ended up eventually running the whole herd off when he spooked after about 2 or three minutes of him being within 15 feet of me. Man I loved every minute of it though, and wouldn't change a thing about it now as it was a learning experience.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:47 PM

that must have been awesome!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Archer 18 , I had several close calls. One in which I was hunting with my nephew. We had a spike come in so close that the dirt was falling down a 5 foot bank and on to our feet. A couple if years later I had a cow elks face not one foot from mine looking around a tree. She jumped back and to my surprise bedded down on the other side of the tree behind me. That elk cover up scent really does work. Sounds like your quite an elk hunter already. Keep up the good work and when that big bull comes in make sure that arrow doesn't bounce off the rest. This happened to my nephew last year.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats something you'll never forget. Someday hopefully you can share the outdoors with your kids also! I'm sure it was a great moment for your dad, seeing and knowing the experience you had!

Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

The charge itself would have made me check my boxers afterwards lol. I think that is a experience you wouldnt forget so right on. I havent had any type of experience like that happen to me. Only thing that remotely comes close is when wild pig hunting and seen a boar trying to jump over a cow after we spooked the group. I was laughing at the sight too hard to shoot .
Old 01-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guy's I think that those eperiences only come once in a lifetime sure sound's great.We took a bull moose at only about 5yrds this season he walked right in to a cow call and the scent of cow urine that we placed on his rubline ,you wouldn't believe hoe quiet this guy came in ,we knew he was coming but the closer he got the quieter he got .

nubo
Old 01-19-2004, 10:56 AM

Archer 18/ Nothing quite like them getting close and personal! I love it when game gets so close that you can actually scent them. As we all know from our experiences that the tide is usually on the other side.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW! I think I would have messed myself.
I think that comment accurately portrays my sentiments as well. I would love to some day take up Elk hunting as it seems very exciting especially when you do get "up close and personal" with them.

Quick Reply: Awesome Experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.