Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my first of the year... >

Got my first of the year...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my first of the year...

Old 10-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Got my first of the year...

Note my confidence for this season.

Anyway here is my story. I went out with my buddy to a spot he's hunted with success for the last several seasons. We scouted it earlier and I found a nice triple tree to climb up into. My buddy told me the deer would come from across the road, which is about 80 yards away, to my left, from behind me or up the hill from the right, so basically my head had to be on a swivel. I wish I had brought my stand when scouting because when we got to the spot at 5:30 a.m. I found out my climber wouldn't fit because it was hitting the back trees. So I had to hug and climb my way up. As I started to climb the bulb in my flashlight died [:@] so I couldn't really tell how high I was and since I didn't have my climber each step up was less than normal. I get set up in my stand and as it gets light I realize I'm only about 12 feet up. I'm pretty bummed at this point, but realize there is nothing to do but stick it out. Nothing comes by until about 7:30 when I see a deer about 85 yards away on the edge of a field coming into the woods. I glass it and see it's a single doe. Since we are fairly close to the road we try to shoot small does or big bucks on this property so we don't have to take a chance of following them off or having them die on the road (the bucks we'll obviously take our chances). This was a small doe, but not a yearling so she made a fine candidate. She browsed her way through the woods making her way toward me. At about 25 yards she stopped right before the tree I was going to use to draw on her and got spooky. She wasn't looking in my direction, but to my right. My ASAT camo must've had her fooled. She then jumped past the tree and out to 28 yards, which is beyond our pre-determined distance for shooting on this property. Then she turns and comes back and is angling toward me. I knew that if she kept on that angle she would give me a shot as she crossed the dry creek bed about 12 yards away. The only cover I had for drawing was a small sapling that you could see through the leaves, but was my only option. Once she got behind the leaves I drew back and she kept on track. ASAT comes through again! Once she stepped into the opening I settled my pin behind her shoulder and she stopped without any provoking. I released and the arrow hit home. She took off on a leaning death run that ended 60 yards later with her piled up against a tree. As she ran I could see the blood pumping out of her from the exit would left by the Spitfire broadhead. I waited until 8:15 when my buddy indicated to me he was getting down and then got down myself. I retrieved my arrow buried 6 inches into the dirt with bright frothy blood on it. We could see the deer from my stand so there was no need to track, but the trail could have been followed by a blind man. Once we got her we cleaned her out and headed back to my friend's house to butcher her up. Last night's dinner of tener loins and back strap was plenty tasty. I'll post some pics once my buddy gets them developed and I can scan them.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my first of the year...

Congrats!
Old 10-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job. Way to make a positive out of a negative!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:45 PM

congrats
Old 10-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

good deal
Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first of the year
Old 10-05-2004, 06:28 PM