Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new bowhunter-first encounter!!! >

new bowhunter-first encounter!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bowhunter-first encounter!!!

Old 10-02-2004, 09:49 AM

Default new bowhunter-first encounter!!!

There I was, the second day of the season, about 6:30 AM when a nice fat doe appears out of nowhere 25 yards away. She is face on, and not any the wiser about my presence 15 feet up in the air. She meanders to less than 20 yards away, and turns full broadside. My heart is pounding but I am doing okay. No overwhelming shakes, I am focused on her every move. Can I be so lucky as to bag my first deer this soon? She turns her head away, and I come to full draw. I can barely see my 20 yard pin, but I can see it. She is still calm, and standing stock still. I slide to the right to cover the vitals... I can't see her through the peep sight!!! the isn't enough light yet!!! I watch her still at full draw for about 20 seconds, and try to put the pin on her again. No target is visible. Her head goes behind a small pine as she walks to my right, and I let down the bow. She walks off into the trees never knowing I was there. She got about 70 yards down wind, finally caught my scent, and blew a couple times . Whew! I told my wife that all I wanted to do was see a deer and I would be happy. I can see now, that was a lie. Literally 5 minutes later there was enough light to put my pin on a pine cone just fine. That was one of the funnest and most frustrating experiences I have ever had. Just had to get that off my chest. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new bowhunter-first encounter!!!

Sag! that's exactly why we're all so addicted to bowhunting that's just one of the scenario's that you'll be getting used to when bowhunting.because it just keep's getting better every time you have animal's in front of you .Good luck to you on the rest of the season .

nubo
Old 10-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to a lifetime of frustrations
Old 10-02-2004, 12:42 PM

i experienced a similar thing last year, but at deep dusk. that's why i shoot with a no-peep now. if you don't know what it is find out.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:45 PM

I can't see her through the peep sight!!! the isn't enough light yet!!! I watch her still at full draw for about 20 seconds, and try to put the pin on her again. No target is visible
-and-
Literally 5 minutes later there was enough light to put my pin on a pine cone just fine.
This happens alot. Gotta get used to it. I've installed a pinlight from PSE on to my pin guard and tapped over the light so that it's not so bright. I'm also shooting with the No Peep this year.

Of course, I missed taking a nice buck during 15 Sept (opening day here in Maryland) because I hadn't mounted my pin light yet. Buck about 3 paces away from my ladderstand. [:@]

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-02-2004, 01:09 PM

Sag welcome to the best rush money can buy. I have done a lot of things in my life but nothing comes close to the rush I get bowhunting. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sag welcome to the best rush money can buy.
I'll second that! I've skydived from 3miles over Hawaii, climbed mountains, scuba dived with sharks, raced cars, fight fires, and worked mass casualty incidents - but none come close to the thrill of bowhunting.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:31 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait until our season starts here!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Good story and you will get another chance, just be patient. One piece of advice I would give, is to open both eyes in a low light situation. You can pick up the target with your non shooting eye and see the pin with your shooting eye. It works for me, but I would practice it at home before you do it in the field. Sure don't want to make a bad shot. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:51 PM

now that my friend is a NATURAL HIGH enjoy huntn.