Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 advice on hunting spot etiquette >

advice on hunting spot etiquette

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice on hunting spot etiquette

Old 09-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default advice on hunting spot etiquette

Here's the situation. I have access to 105 acres. I work on this farm on the side to help the landowner, who is like a grandfather to me. I have hunted there four years. I manage the herd, plant foodplots on top of helping with non deer related chores. 1 other guy hunts the land. He too is a freind of the landowner, but does no work and only has time to come around during season. We have always cooporated and he has been there hunting longer than me. I have always given him a standing inviteation to hunt any of my stands as if they were his own. I scout hard and put up 4 to 5 stands. He puts up usually 2 or three. He has been very busy this year and not been around at all, even to hang stands. We like to get stands up a month before season at least. we have two weeks now and there is one very productive spot that he usually hangs one of his stands that he has not hung it in. I am going to hang a stand there and again give the standing offer that he is welcom to hunt it as his own since he has been busy. My question is would my putting a stand up anger you even though i am trying to be nice. I would hunt the stand as well but thants no different than normal.

one note. I dont know how to reach this guy. he moved and has a new phone #. thanks for the advice. also the landowner told me to go ahead and hang my stand and not worry about it.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:18 PM

Default RE: advice on hunting spot etiquette

Go ahead and put it up.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think your being very, very accomodating....go ahead and hang the stand....you deserve to.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks to me you are going beyond the call of duty! You are being very fair IMO. Put your stand up and good luck!
Old 09-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang the stand. You seem to be treating him better then some guys treat their actually hunting partners. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same EXACT thing happened with to my brother in law. Me and him are generally the only people that bowhunt our wive's grandmother's land. Whenever we've seen the people that gun hunt the land we've told them to go ahead and use our stands. They didn't put a stand in one spot that they always hunted (it is easily the best spot that I know of on the 280 acres), so my brother in law put up a stand about 100 yards away on the trail that leads to the other spot. You know what he got? He got his stand scattered in 15 different directions, piece by piece.

My advice is to get in touch with the other hunter and get things straight before hand. It just might tick him off, even though you have every right to hang the stand. Some people take ownership over hunting spots, even on public land. I've seen it happen. It's not right but if you are aiming to not tick the guy off then I'd talk to him. My $.02.

oh, I should say that these guys are a bunch of bozos. They get all liquored up and go shoot anything that moves (usually the 10-12 of them get a deer or two, hehe). Under each stand is a pile of empty beer cans. One of them even shot the finger off another one with a slug.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:25 PM

wow, you're a heck of a guy - you're going to hang the stand and make the offer to the other guy to hunt it as if it were his own ?

Tell ya what, I got a little area that you can hang all the stands you want if you're willing to make me the same deal.....

Seriously though, I can't see him complaining at all - at least I wouldn't. Seems like a real nice thing to do for the guy.