Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
Winter Indoor 5-Spot Etiquette >

Winter Indoor 5-Spot Etiquette

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Winter Indoor 5-Spot Etiquette

Old 01-23-2003, 06:22 AM

Default Winter Indoor 5-Spot Etiquette

Recently while shooting at a local range I was participating in a 5-spot Tournament. Well to be more exact it is more like a roving tournament that allows a shooter to come in at your convenience shoot your round while someone verifies you round and you turn in your score card and target paper. Great set-up for us who have a fluctuating schedule. Anyhow while shooting my last round one of the other shooters in the league (In my opinion) was being very obnoxious at the same time I was shooting. After my first shot there was a comment... "Ooh he starts out with an X." Then after my second shot there was a comment to the effect of... " Another X I might have to put a Jinx on you or something." I am usually an easy going type guy but in an official NFAA round the person would have already been thrown out. THEN... The individual proceeded to shoot his hunting bow, which is a seperate bow from the bow shot in the 5 spot league AND was already shot at 10 yards to get the sight close, into the wood of the target butts which are 48" x 48" creating a loud crack. At this Time I was at full draw and released prematurely. shooting a 3. Folks this is the first 3 I have shot in a long long time in 5 spot. Needless to say I was irate (MAD!!!!). Then the next two shots were X's but I wasn't worth a darn the rest of the shoot. NOW FOR MY QUESTION. Do I have the right to be mad? Am I in the right? Was there and Is there a range etiquette that Archers should follow during any tournament. I THOUGHT SO. Please lend me your thoughts fellow archers.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2003, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Winter Indoor 5-Spot Etiquette

VorTecXT2000, don't let the A$$HOLE get to ya. A little consideration on his part is not too much to ask. However on a 5 spot target anything outside the white and still in the blue is a 4. You can only score a 5, 4 or zero in 5 spot compitition. Keep shootin' those x's.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:52 PM

VorTecXT2000, don't let the A$$HOLE get to ya. A little consideration on his part is not too much to ask. However on a 5 spot target anything outside the white and still in the blue is a 4. You can only score a 5, 4 or zero in 5 spot compitition. Keep shootin' those x's.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:49 AM

Hey thanks for the comments. I can normally block out the small chatter but this was specifically directed towards me. I guess the best archers can block out stuff like that but is something like that necessary. I spoke with another shooter in the league and He shoots at a different time during the week than I do and he stated that the same individual had intentionally/unintentionally distracted him. I also talked to the shop owners and they have since taken control of the situation and confronted the person. We have since decided that it may not be 100% intentional but partially just the personality of the individual. Good Luck and shoot em' straight.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its part of the game, if he was intentionally trying to do something legal or not, it isn't right. However, indoors forces you next to people, some of these people will be jerks. You just need to learn to deal with it.

As for shooting the wood, well that just happens, I am sure he didin't intentionally do it. Same type of thing happened to me last night. Guy next to me was shooting a long bow with white fletch, while I was at full draw,with release about to go off, his shot went way low and left VERY close to my wifes target right under mine. It caught my eye at the exact wrong time and the release went off. Oooops. Managed to catch the edge of the 4.

--Bob

Old 01-24-2003, 10:34 AM

It isn't something you should learn to "deal with". It's the responsibility of the range owner to set rules and monitor the leagues. If this type of behavior is happening, it should be immediatley addressed. I run many leagues at my shop. Some fill all my lanes and I'm basically shut down for other shooting business, however, it's my job to make sure things run smoothly. I've put peoples cigars out before. I've put pipes out before. And Yes, I've had the occassional talk with a shooter about his mouth and the affect it has on shooters. I run my indoor leagues like a tournament....every week. I'm glad you got it taken care of, however, you may want to have the shop owner go to a NAA tournament and see how it should be done. This may give him/her ideas on how to run their league.

maco12
Old 01-27-2003, 08:29 AM

Friday while at the range I was just shooting to try out the new Paddle attachment from Carter on my Insatiable 2 and the "individual" was shooting a mock 300 round. A comment was made by this person that archers should be able to take pressure situations because an archer will never be a great archer unless they can deal with pressure situations. I agree whole heartedly. However Distractions and pressure situations differ tremendously. I compare Archery to Golf in several aspects where mental concentration and replication of muscle motions are of utmost importance. Take Tiger Woods for example. No doubt the best golfer in the world. But there are several occasions when spectators take pictures with a camera and distract his golf swing. Now should that be a factor that he should have to deal with. I would say "not".