Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When Is The Best Time To Hunt Your Best Stand? >

When Is The Best Time To Hunt Your Best Stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When Is The Best Time To Hunt Your Best Stand?

Old 09-29-2004, 11:07 PM

Default When Is The Best Time To Hunt Your Best Stand?

Last week I found the best natural funnel to force deer movement that I have ever seen. There are 2 cliffs than run on both sides of this funnel that really narrows down the deer movement. This area is on public property but is really remote so deer feel comfortable using this funnel during daylight hours. I found this funnel on Friday. There were no rubs in this funnel on Friday. When I returned on Sunday to hang the stand there we over 20 rubs in this funnel. The reason being is the acorns are spotty this year and for some reason they hit really well in this funnel. And if that is not enough reason to hunt this funnel before I could get this stand hung and get out of the area 2 P&Y bucks came through feeding on the acorns while I was hanging the stand!!! The main bedding area is also located 300-400 yards away from this funnel.

So here is my question, When should I hunt this stand? Should I hunt the stand early in the season and try to catch one of the bucks feeding on the acorns like they were on Suday? If I do hunt the stand early should I hunt daylight till dark or should I sneak in the middle of the day and hunt the evening's? I am worried that if I try to sneak in during the morning that I might spook the deer out of the funnel. I think that I might have a better chance of not jumping deer if I sneak in during the middle of the day.

Or would it be better for me to stay out of the area until the pre-rut or rut starts so that I can take avantage of cruizing bucks checking for does feeding on the acorns or in the beeding area?
Our season starts on October 16th. I have 6 straight weeks off 2 hunt so time is not an issue. I just want to make the correct move here and get one of these P&Y bucks that are using this funnel.

Below is the picture of the 10-pointer that would have walked right under my stand if my i hadn't been standing at the bottom of it:

Old 09-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When Is The Best Time To Hunt Your Best Stand?

What I consider a funnel is an area where deer are almost forced to use as a travel route between their bedding area and feeding area.
Do you know where their bedding area is?
Is this big timber woods with no agriculture in the area?
If it is big timber (lots and lots of woods with no agriculture around) and this is their feeding area it will make a big difference on when to setup. If it is a "funnel" between bedding and feeding area it will also make a difference.
We need some more info to really get a good idea how to hunt it.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some advice I've always taken to heart...

If you see a big buck do the same thing twice then be ready come the 3rd.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:00 AM

If I were you, I'd hunt the stand early season as soon as the conditions (wind) are perfect for the area. Once the bucks start cruising for does they will use this natural funnel sure, but right now they are much more pattern oriented. I'd stick w/ an evening hunt as mature bucks are generally back in or near their bed by daylight. The buck in the pic while nice will not make P and Y minimums due to side to side difference however. If you choose to take him though he's still a nice one!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:34 AM

My best stand I can pretty much see Deer all day. So really anytime is good. I usually like the evening hunt better because our land backs up to a farm were the farmer has field of fresh cut corn.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

My best stand is a morning stand up til about 11:00 am....it's a CRP field, overgrown with saplings and all...the deer are comfortable in this field most the morn...but come noon, it's time to change locations.....not more than 100 yards I have a second stand hung, it's the evening stand....I've hunted this same area for 20some years and that's the way the deer move.

Exempt: During the rut.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:58 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I think that I will sneak into this stand 2 times in early October for evening hunts and try to catch the bucks coming to feed on the acorns. After that I will wait till around the first of November and hunt the stand hard because this funnel should see activity all day long from bucks traveling through looking for does. I can't wait to hunt this stand!!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get in and out without spooking any deer and IF the WIND is right, hunt it when you can. But don't use it too much if you can't get in and out without disturbing the deer, and simply stay out if the wind isn't right.