Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Disheartening stealth cam pic >

Disheartening stealth cam pic

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disheartening stealth cam pic

Old 09-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Disheartening stealth cam pic

Years back I shot a yearling 6 pt buck with a rifle. Everything was normal. Very healthy and fat. When I was butchering, I was filetting the meat from the shoulderblade and my knife caught on something. Turned out to be a razorblade. Cool! I thought. The deer was hit by an arrow and survived. Didn't think much else of it. Then, when I got to the other front Qtr, what did I find? More blades stuck in that shoulderblade. What the?? Only way that happened is with an arrow that penetrated from one side to the other. Most likely the arrow came out the way it went in. Still can't see how that wasn't fatal. To top it off, that deer had to be a fawn when it was shot, because the wounds were 100% healed, no sign of anything on the hide or muscle.

Moral of the story.......deer can survive some incredible injuries.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Adams...The deer will probably make it!

I had an 8pt in my yard one morning eating some corn when I noticed an arrow almost laying on its back! It was in behind the shoulder blades. This buck was eating corn like nothing was bothering him. I did see him about 2 weeks later. The arrow was gone but the wound was still visable.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

the only down side to posting the pic would be it getting in the wrong hands, "PEople wiTh nothing else to do todAy", you know they are lurking everywhere and all they need is more ammo
Old 09-30-2004, 10:29 AM

I would say the doe will likely be just fine. Deer have simply amazing immune systems and recuperative powers. A friend of mine shot a 4 pointer a few years ago that was running around just fine. When he skinned it out he found an entire arrow lying in the body cavity along his spine. Everything was all healed over and that buck had likely lived with that arrow for at least a year. Someone must have shot it from the front through the chest and miraculously missed all the vitals.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

think it would be good to post the pic, for the fact that it would show guys that where you think you can hit a deer sometimes and KILL it, It really doesnt.. LOTS OF GUYS DONT KNOW THE KILL ZONE...
Seems almost like tomany people out there have the idea that just hittting the animal with and arrow or bullet is good enough....... well they are wrong. When I hunt I dont consider the deer itself a good enough target I have to beable to place my shot in the vitals, if the shot doesnt present itself then I pass on it.

My first deer I ever shot I was 17 years old and after that hunt is the reason I feel the way i do now, Anyway I shot at a doe from about a 150 yard quartering shot, at the moment just before the shot I was thinking to myself Id really like her to turn and give me a broad side shot. But I had the feeling going through me that everyone calls buck fever I was so excited it was just about uncontrolable I squeezed a round off even though I was aiming for the visible portion of its side, the bullet caught its hind left leg right in the thigh. I tracked that deer for over a mile just before I found her I thought to myself I know it was good shot she shouldnt have ran this far, I was almost about to give up looking, like most people I think would have by now as it was getting dark I started to feel sick from sorrow thinking that I just wounded her and she was gonna suffer, I was determined to find her. I said a prayer and asked God to please let me find this deer, I told him I was feeling really sick with the thought of wounding the animal. I decided to keep looking now that it was just about dark I heard some rustling in the bushes I said to my friend that was with me, there she is in the bushes. He was like no dude thats just a rabbit. sure enough it was the doe. I got close enough to see in her in full view she had absolutley no wounds in her chest or gut, all she had was a broken leg dangling by a bit of flesh she was laying on the ground looking right at me, I said to myself thank you God. This is the real bad part that gave me the wourst feeling in the world that I need to get off my chest. Where she layed it was too close quarters to shoot her again with my 308 if I backed off to take a shot I wouldnt have been able to see her the brush was to thick. I thought to myself what do I do? something needs to be done so at the moment I did the only thing I could think of I looked around and found a small log about 3 foot long, I thonked her over the head with it It was wourst feeling in the world hitting something living over the head to kill it, just thinking about it I still feel awfull over the whole ordeal. after that I took my knife and cut into its neck and air passage hoping I hit its jugular vein to make sure it wasnt suffering anymore. We dragged her back to the truck, I turned to my friend I told him Man I feel awfull he said dont you asked God to help you find her and God led you to her, A bad deal turned out to be something good. But it was a lesson learned well. I actually stopped deer hunting for a few years it was hard to get myself to do it again, but in those 2 years I didnt hunt I spent that time practicing with my rifle. Every year there after I went hunting, Every deer I shot at died from 1 fatal shot and none of them had run further then 40 yards and one dropped dead in its tracks.

It feels good to get that out, thanks guys for putting up with my Rambling.

I have 3 words of advice wether if you gun hunt or bow hunt. Practice Practice Practice
Dont learn it the hard way like I did.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:34 AM

Due to some of the responces this post got I will not be posting the pic. I think it's in the best interest of the sport but I also agree with matthewsboy. It's a great teaching aid of what not to do. I have a list going and would be glad to email to anyone who would like to see it. It's not a gory pic(no blood). Just a piece of shaft sticking out above the front shoulder and infront of the vitals. I would guess she was shot earlier this fall and if given the chance I will arrow her. I'm 99% sure she'll survive but I can take quite a few doe in the extended archery zone where the pic was taken.

She sure did look tasty and I'd hate to see her suffer. If you want to see the pic feel free to PM me and I will forward it as soon as I can(may take a day or two). Please include you email address.

Happy hunting and please stick them where it counts!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

When i was up in Montana during an camping trip, I came across what was left of an small buck. It was worked over pretty good and was just skeleton remains but I found about 7 inches of an arrow with rusted broadhead (was an fixed blade) laying an few feet from it, and what appeared to be an bullet hole in the shoulder bone. I dont know if maybe the deer was orignally shot with the arrow or the gun first before managing to get away else where because the area i was at, shooting and hunting were prohibited.