Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever hunt with a 6 year old? >

Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

Old 09-29-2004, 07:10 AM

Default RE: Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

Congrats Ate-UP!!! I wanted a son, but after having 2 girls its not worth the risk lol. Im glad so many are hunting young with their kids. I wont put my kid in a stand yet, but its fun for me to have her there, interested in whats going on and learning.
Stryker777
Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took my daughter when she was 7. I put her in a lock-on stand that i put up a couple of weeks before. I also asked if she could stay still? and without question she sead yes! well we sat there for a couple of hours and then she told me she was cold![:'(] I told her just a little longer. About five minutes went bye when i heard something coming our way? It was a nice four point chassing a doe. She looked down just as the doe past us then the buck ran right up in front of us then stopped. She did very well she did not move at all. I was not going to take him but i thought just for a moment? Taking a deer with me kid will be a momory that i will never forget. So i drew back and shot hitting the buck right behind the shoulder. After the shot the buck took off running and she yeld out YOU GOT HIM!![&:] After a short blood trail there he was. But i could not shut her up for nothing! Untill i told her she had to help me drag it out!! Well she did and to this day that is one of the greatest memorys i have ever had.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My oldest son is 8yrs old now, and he went with me when he was six in the opening week of bow season here in ohio, only problem i had is when he would fall asleep..........he would move alot like we all do when we are snoozin. A big doe walked right out in front of us while we was sitting in a dried up creek bed i call the honey hole, and just starts twitchin in his sleep and scared that doe to the next county i couldnt help but laugh at him with the druel on his chin!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 AM

Great story that you will re-live for the rest of your life!!!

I'll take my 8 yr old daughter out Saturday for her first squirrel. She is nervous about the 4-10 but we'll see. I'll sit her brother away from us a bit so he doesn't bother her.

Keep up the good work!

Greg
Old 09-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Took my 8 year old nephew on a three-day backpack elk hunt last year. We hiked in 6 miles and camped and hunted our tails off. He's really a tough kid. The weather was perfect for cotton socks. The hunting part was interesting, we got a bull coming in and I peaked over my shoulder just treasuring the fact he was there to share the experience. When I looked back, he was hiding, not even looking for the bull. I could tell his idea of hiding was, "Please don't let the mean bully see me, he might get me".

We're going to try an antelope hunt this year. That will be a real challenge since those things can read newsprint at 50 miles and see through thin rocks.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

6, not yet, but my son started shed hunting with me at 18 months... via backpack and then walking with me in the good spots. I even planted a shed for him to find.......man was he stoked!!!! he told his momma all about it for days!

My son rifle hunted with me last fall... Bow nope...hes too little for that. anyway I blew a shot on a big buck ...with Jess sitting right by me... shot right over him... Jess says " goooooood shot daddy..." as the buck runs off untouched...man was that humbling to tell my son....ummm..not a good enough shot Jess... and then I had to explain...how we dont always hit or make the shots ... after checking the bucks tracks in the snow to make sure we didnt hit him... Jess learned alot about following up on a shot and we had a great time together as father and son...

One more quick story...he and I go out elk hunting bulls only.. we sat above a big clear cut for about 2 hours till dark....thats a long sit for a 2.5 year old...anyway its getting dark.... and I say..ok Jess lets hike back up the mountain to the quad.... he says "NO DADDY" we have to stay till dark incase a monster bull comes out! " I about died...thinking man hes trained good !!!! oh well hes dedicated ! Jess does a lot of glassing with me in the summer evenings too.

We walked out in the dark...he on my shoulders... nothing better than sharing that with my son... Hes 3 now and will hunt with me this fall, my 1.5 year old will get introduced to shed hunting this spring ...

Shed
Old 09-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been taking my young guy out since the age of 5,when its cold he would wrap himself in a blanket and usually fall asleep when the sun breaks the treeline.I took him rifle hunting 2 years ago and we got a decent buck and he was tickled pink,I think he was so happy about the whole thing he was the first one to the deer.But when it cam time to gut him out he was gone,didn't want anything to do with it lol.
I took him bow hunting last year for his first time,made a little to much noise for my liking,but it was all good,we had a great time.
He is 9 now and probably knows more about deer hunting in general then half my friends--lol------He can find scrapes,rubs,the purpose for them and can see a deer track a mile away.
My daughter is 12 this year and she dosn't want to go out with me hunting.I have asked her 100's of times but she dosnt want to see a deer get shot she says.She like the taste of venison and I respect her decision.Maybe someday we can share a stand together but intill then we do other things together.She does like shed hunting(even though we havent found any-lol)And walks in the bush with me and Hunter(my sons name)
I truley love taking my son out with me and he is always the one to ask(dad can i come)and I always say of-course,and I wouldent have it any other way.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Took my oldest boy last year, he's 8 now but was 7 at the time. I bought a ground blind so we could do this. Darned thng was too small but thats another story.
Anyhow, he promised he'd be quiet & I had a good spot in mind for the blind so we went.
I tried setting up so the deer would go by my window first & I might get a shot after they walked past. Well, didn't work out that way. He was quiet I'll give him that & it was cool watchin the squirrels & chipmonks rootin around. Then a deer came, nice doe, from his side. I watched her come in & couldnt tell him because she was too close, he didnt see her cuz he was lookin where I told him to look & when he turned that way he saw her & let out a "There goes one dad!" that woulda woke the dead. He felt kinda bad after she ran off, but think he looks at it as a sort of lesson.
I got a bigger blind this year & he'll be back out with me.