HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever hunt with a 6 year old?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 01:42 PM
shed33
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

6, not yet, but my son started shed hunting with me at 18 months... via backpack and then walking with me in the good spots. I even planted a shed for him to find.......man was he stoked!!!! he told his momma all about it for days!

My son rifle hunted with me last fall... Bow nope...hes too little for that. anyway I blew a shot on a big buck ...with Jess sitting right by me... shot right over him... Jess says " goooooood shot daddy..." as the buck runs off untouched...man was that humbling to tell my son....ummm..not a good enough shot Jess... and then I had to explain...how we dont always hit or make the shots ... after checking the bucks tracks in the snow to make sure we didnt hit him... Jess learned alot about following up on a shot and we had a great time together as father and son...

One more quick story...he and I go out elk hunting bulls only.. we sat above a big clear cut for about 2 hours till dark....thats a long sit for a 2.5 year old...anyway its getting dark.... and I say..ok Jess lets hike back up the mountain to the quad.... he says "NO DADDY" we have to stay till dark incase a monster bull comes out! " I about died...thinking man hes trained good !!!! oh well hes dedicated ! Jess does a lot of glassing with me in the summer evenings too.

We walked out in the dark...he on my shoulders... nothing better than sharing that with my son... Hes 3 now and will hunt with me this fall, my 1.5 year old will get introduced to shed hunting this spring ...

Shed