Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bionic Buck or Mckenzie >

Bionic Buck or Mckenzie

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bionic Buck or Mckenzie

Old 09-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bionic Buck or Mckenzie

I am about to pick up a 3d target Between the 2 what would you recommend ? Also can the Bionic buck stand up to the weather? Thanks Jim
Old 09-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bionic Buck or Mckenzie

JimBow........I have both myself, and if you are talking the bulk of your practice being with field points? There IMO is absolutely no comparison as to which is better.......the Bionic Buck is a dream to practice with.
Not quite as lifelike up close I'll concede that, but it takes some MAJOR abuse, and arrows pull out as easy as a bag target but it's much tougher than any bag target. I have been shooting mine for 3 seasons now and it looks like I've shot it for a week. Arrow still only go in a few inches even in the small kill circle.
I would venture to guess that it will hold up many many times longer than any foam 3D target. I couldn't tell you how much longer because I'm not even close to wearing out a single midsection.
The McKenzie collects dust and an occaisional broadhead and that's it.

As for weather? I don't know but I would guess you should cover it and keep it dry, it's cloth and material that would get funky if left to the elements.
I haul mine in and out of my basement each session.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Matt, I am leaning toward the Bionic, I have a layer target I'll use my broadheads on. I had a mckenzie and It held up ok but began to crumble after a coupple seasons. The arrow pull was terrible also. Jim
Old 09-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ever seen the Glendel Buck? layered 3d target. best of both worlds.. I do have to admit though, the bionic buck lasts. If your starting to shoot out the center, you can stuff rags in the end and compact it. It's good as new again. The midsection is wrapped in burlap and can easily be replaced. good stuff.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I was just going to mention the new Glendel Buck. It's made by the same company that makes The Block I believe, and looks great. I have a McKenzie that's pretty much on it's last leg, and was leaning toward the new Glendel. My poor McKenzie took a pretty rough shot last year from a decent 8 pointer that had at least a good 10 yard head of steam built when it hit my target....lmao Wish I would have picked up the vid. camera..dang. Anyone here have a Glendel Buck? If so, how about a review?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone here have a Glendel Buck? If so, how about a review?
Yep I got one and it's holding up pretty well. Once you start tearing up the center, you can readjust the layers and it'll work good as new. The only thing that I didn't like about the glendel buck, is the antlers that come with it. They are made of foam also and can break off very easy, (say if strong winds blow it over).

Here is a couple pictures of my target with a few hundred shots into it.

Note: This is starting with all new layers... Not too bad if I say so..

Here is a picture of the whole glendel target. Just for an idea.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:17 AM

I agree with Matt/Pa. I leave my Bionic buck out and cover it with a camo tarp. Don't know about the Glendale. I stayed away from that because I had layered targets before, and they are all hard to get arrows out. I shoot a lot, and the Bionic is a dream for arrow removal.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 AM

I looked into getting the Glendel buck, but the only thing I did not like about it was if you are shooting from an elevated stand, your tips will cut across those layers of foam. It's designed to stop your arrows with friction, but if your shooting down across the layers, you will eventually deform the layers and it may not stop arrows as well.

I called the and asked if there was any way to rotate the mid-section and they said no. I use the block which has the same laminated foam layers and I love it, it's small and portable plus I can rotate it for elevated shots.

Right now, I'm using the Morell deer target. It's got a cotton packed replacable mid-section with absoulute 2 finger removal and it doesn't matter what angle the arrow hits it. I mounted it on a home-made wagon that I can pull b/t my yardage markers and I can just park it in the barn when I'm done. I've had it for 2 years and after several hundred arrows, it still looks brand new.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I looked at a Glendel target and it looked kinda cheap in a couple ways mainly the antlers. I ordered the Binoic Buck from Cabelas. I think I'll like it. Thanks Jim