Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 lesson learned the hard way >

lesson learned the hard way

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lesson learned the hard way

Old 09-21-2004, 08:31 PM

Default lesson learned the hard way

This is my first year bowhunting and i had not put much thought into scent elimination until last weekend(the season opener). I hunt in NE Wi and i am in an Earn-a-buck zone. That means i have to shoot a doe before i can tag a buck. I was sitting out on my new stand over looking a food plot i planted and 2 nice does walked in around 7:00 with their heads up looking around. They must have smelled me because they only walked in about 5 yards before they stopped and looked around. Then they bolted. So today i went to the local sporting goods store and bought some Scent Killer and also some doe urine to get their attention away from me. Never thought their noses could be so keen, but oh well, i guess i learned my lesson. This ever happened to anyone?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: lesson learned the hard way

Don't ever, I mean ever under estimate their nose......EVER.

Scent suits, scent eliminators, scent cover ups and if you don't have the wind right, your busted....don't doubt it.....Lesson learned.[&:]
Old 09-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah.......and take a shower too.
Not with the pretty smelling Old Spice body wash either.....get some Scent Killer soaps and deoderants as well.
Keep the hunting clothes scent free........your body as scent free as possible and use the wind to your advantage.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

GB You learned a lesson, but not the hard way. You were very fortunate. My first year of bowhunting I did the same thing. But this was the king of the mountain that I had watched, plotted, planned and spent many many hours scouting to be in the right place at the right time. I was set up on the side of a steep hill overlooking a stream. The buck was to cross the stream and angle up to within 25 yards of my stand. I'm in my stand at 05:00 with the wind in my face and watching down the hill. I hear a twig snap and there he was. Standing directly behind me. We were looking eye to eye at the same level. Needless to say, I didn't get the shot. The hard part to swallow, the buck was shot by a guy that had not been in the woods until 10:00 that day. It walked within 20 yards of him while entering the woods. His shot hit it's mark and all my time and trouble went up in smoke. I did get a nice 8 point, but is wasn't the one I had worked so hard for. That never happened again.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:31 AM

Of all the senses that the whitty whitetail has his nose is the one you want to steer clear from. It's really hard to comprehend just how sensitive the nose of a white tail is. Studies prove their noses to be 10,000 times more sensitive then that of a human and they can detect up to 20 scents at the same time.

Best bet is to play the wind. Being clean and odorless is good, don't get me wrong but it isn't a cure all.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:43 AM

That was your first time getting busted by a deers nose and I guarantee it wont be the last. It happens to everyone, I got busted the other night when a couple doe came in down wind of me from a direction I didnt expect. You can have all the scent gear in the world but you can never completly eliminate your scent. And even when you play the wind right deer can be very unpredictable and come in from areas you would never expect. Its their #1 defense mechanism and can be hard to beat.