Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on marginal hit, Spinal? >

Question on marginal hit, Spinal?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on marginal hit, Spinal?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

Default Question on marginal hit, Spinal?

My hunting buddy was hunting 70 to 100 yards behind me. We had this what appeared 4 -6 pt in full velvet running around between us. He shot around 35 yards and hit a twig or something. He shot it on the back end and it basically parrallized the deer. Almost to the main back of the meat. It would get up and throw itself 3 feet at time. It came down to me and I finished it off at 32 yards in the shoulder. What could he have hit that parralized it like that?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:48 PM

Default RE: Bad Shot (a$$ shot)

It sounds like he hit the spinal cord. Did you do an autopsy? Generally just after a kill is the best time to investigate what wounded the animal.

I'm glad to hear you were able to finnish the deer off and recover him.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:03 PM

Yes that is a spinal shot. The same thing happened to me. The good part with a spinal shot is that they can't run. You thus have the opportunity for a second shot
Old 09-21-2004, 01:22 PM

The first nice buck I killed with a bow was a spine shot. The angle was pretty steep and my shot went high. The buck literally dropped in his tracks.

I climbed down and went to the house to get the mule (deer cart) and came back an hour later expecting the buck to be dead, but to my surprise he was still very much alive!! It was the first day of bow season and the temps by 10am were already in the mid 80's with the high that day forcasted for around 90, so I had to do something quick. Although the buck could not get up and run, he could partially raise up on his front legs and move around. So, I came up behind him and grabbed the horns and cut his throat.

I know this is probably not the right way to handle this, but I needed to so something quick and get the meat cooled off b/f there was any spoilage. After I got him back to the barn and dressed out, I spent about $30 on ice just to get him to the check station and then to my buddy's walk in to hang for a few day's.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:34 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Question on marginal hit, Spinal?

buck I killed with a bow was a spine
Its hard for me to believe there was spine back that far. Hey it worked. Miracle we retrieved it.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its hard for me to believe there was spine back that far. Hey it worked. Miracle we retrieved it.
?? Spine runs from head to tail
Old 09-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

smokpole
As long as the buck was living he wasn't going to start to spoil. It was good to end his suffering quickly though, but he wouldn't start spoiling still being alive.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:47 PM

smokpole, probably shoulda took your bow with you and finished hm that way instead of risking yourself by grabbing his antlers. You must have bigger balls than me. Looks like it ended alright though.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats what id like to call a spinal TAP !!!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:41 PM
bigcountry

?? Spine runs from head to tail
The backbone runs from head to tail, but the main nervous system, I am not too sure about.

Quick Reply: Question on marginal hit, Spinal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.