Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What influenced you to be a bowhunter? >

What influenced you to be a bowhunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What influenced you to be a bowhunter?

I have to give all the credit to my father. He was always an outdoorsman although he never got into archery. He loved being in the outdoors and never minded bringing me along before i was old enough to hunt on my own. As the years moved on, and his days afield grew shorter he really enjoyed watching me grow into an avid archer. He often stated he wished he would have gotten involved into archery before he was unable to do so. Now as a father myself, I can't wait to get my two sons involved in the great outdoors and look forward to teaching them this wonderful sport of archery. My only regret is that my father and I had too few a days afield. Thanks dad!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

The Groupies! Have you seen the gals in the Martin Archery ads?

Actually, being able to spend more time in the woods enjoying God's creations.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:32 AM

What pushed me into bowhunting was all the bad shotgun hunters!! Where I live you can only hunt deer with a shotgun, and the gun season brings in all sorts who never pick up a gun until its time to push the deer into a field and unload hundreds of shells into it. Its pitiful. Anyways I had scouted out a deer and had him all set up for opening day. I had a climber treestand I was hunting out of. But the sun came up and no deer! We'll I looked across the way a good 100 yards and there was this guy sitting down next to a tree with a shotgun leaned up against it SMOKING! All that hard work and set up for that. So scince I was the only one that was supposed to be hunting that land I let him know it and he just took off. Never found out who he was but the kicker was that when I came back to my stand the next day it wasn't there!! I always new I should of shot him when I had the chance So I gave up my gun and picked up a bow and fell in love with it. To this day I haven't gun hunted for deer.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:58 PM

well my dad got me into shooting a bow,I been shooting one for as long as i can remember,the reason why i chose bow hunting over hunting with a gun is because i like the idea of getting a deer in to 20 yards and shooting him rather then taking one down at 200.It is just more of a challenge with a bow.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in a non-hunting household. Everything I ever wanted to do with the outdoors I had to teach myself from a very young age. Due to family circumstances i had a lot of time to myself so I could disappear in the mountains of Colorado, the woods and creeks of Illinois, or the hills of Georgia for days and sometimes weeks at a time. I was in every essence a survivalist by age 10.

Yet somehow bowhunting didn't enter my life until 4 years ago, when I was 26. A friend who was a novice bowhunter introduced me to it and we sort of learned the ropes together the first 3 seasons. Using his knowledge of deer and my knowledge of the outdoors I really learned fast. Bowhunting has quickly become a way of life for me!
Old 09-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it must have had something to do with Erol Flynn and Robin Hood. It was either that or Piracy. But since I was about 12 the name Fred Bear brought visions big game, woodsmanship, and a name to hold sacred.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dad got me started. It was sort of just a natural progression in my hunting life. Started with a gun until I was strong enough to pull back a bow.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:17 PM

I have always liked the idea of having to practice to be good. I have some friends at school that buy $700 guns and say it isn't as fun. I decided to go straight to bows instead of paying for something that is not as hard to hunt with.