Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 friendly direction >

friendly direction

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

friendly direction

Old 09-13-2004, 03:33 AM

Default friendly direction

I just want to see how other people stand on this matter. I love the outdoors and anytime i have an opportunity to take someone hunting or share what knowledge i have i always jump at the chance. Now to my question. Am i the only person who spends as much time out in the woods scouting and then show someone a nice spot. Or someone asks me to come out and check an area out and hunt it with them. I find a good area and the guy cuts me off and places a stand where i was going to set one,not to mention you spend all that time scouting and using your cameras and he lets some other retard come in who hasnt done any leg work and hunt the area. How about a guy who you have helped out in a similar way gets access to some land just to rub it in your face and not even invite you to hunt with him. Dont know about you but i aint doin it no mo.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: friendly direction

Its happened to me a few times, but i keep on taking people out.guess its just our good nature and the love of hunting that we keep doing it.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Happened to me last year. In the yearspast i was the only person hunting this farm during archery seasons. There was an older crew who hunted shotgun (lots of drives and crazy shots). Anyway, these guys never scouted. One of them this past season was hunting archery. I couldn't make it opening weekend. I get there the next weekend and a truck is there and someone is in one of my stands (I saw the flashlight going up). So, I hunt a different stand. I talked to him in the morning. I told him I'd been scouting all summer and didn't appreciate him using my stands. He didn't seem to care, it was'nt either of our land. I knew no one hunted the weekdays, so Sunday afternoon I went to all six of my stands and moved the steps. I MADE IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CLIMB UP!!!! This guy was only 5'7" give or take an inch. I'm 6'2". It was difficult for me to get up. Anyway, he stopped using my stands. however he knew i had cameras a such and was more fimilar than he was with the land. Two weeks later I get there and at 4 of my stand locations...he put stands in neighboring trees. I was pissed. Again...what can you do...I don't own the land nor did he. We both had permission. So, I joined forces with him [:@] Made sure we were'nt hunting the same stands over and over and he agreed to that. It worked out in the end, but it still pisses me off that he had the nerve.

J
Old 09-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

justhrowit I can see why you were a little pi$$ed.I dont know how that guy had the nerve to use YOUR stands,and it didn't seem to bother him in the slightest,hmmmmm,I just might have dealt with it in a different way
I do also scout out my areas and found a real honey hole a few years back.Well to make a long story short,my friend hunted my stand last year with permission of-course and this year he asked if he can place his stand about 75 yards down from mine.I polietly said no because I dont want to show up some day to hunt and be looking at each other in the eyes all morning.I did help him scout out a few areas though and helped him hang a stand.He told me he completly understands about my choice and would have done the same thing himself.Maybe i am greedy but its my honey hole
Old 09-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a few friends with walls full of monsters. They have consitently been setting me up in some fine areas. I was able to return the favor by setting them up with hunting in my area I call the Petting Zoo.

There is so much opportunity out there to hunt I have no problem when I run into other hunters. It doesn't happen too often but it does happen. I use a climber and don't have an issue with people in my stand. I had my neighbor hunting my back yard the last few years. Oh well, I'll go some where else.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:29 AM

I'm a selfish bastard Fishing is a sport I like to share with others but hunting is one I prefer to keep to myself and mostly because of the reasons you've mentioned. I'll certainly give my time to help someone learn what to look for and I'll gladly check out someones set up and give advise but my honey holes are mine. This is espically the case if you hunt public land. There are enough variables that come into play without inviting more into the mix.

IMO alot also has to do with what type of hunting you do. If you've want to put someone on a animal to get them into hunting you can put then on a stand that will turn up lots of doe and generally they'll be happy just seeing deer. But if you've got the leg work done and are just waiting for mossy horns to give up a shot I personally wouldn't tell a soul. It's amazing what an otherwise intelegent person will do if you let them in on where the big one is. Common sence and sportsmanship go right out the window when old mosshorns is at stake.

For the record I'm not against putting others on quality animals but I have no intension of giving up a honey hole for someone who hasn't put forth the time and effort to find it thenselvs.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: adams

For the record I'm not against putting others on quality animals but I have no intension of giving up a honey hole for someone who hasn't put forth the time and effort to find it thenselvs.
I couldn't agree more. Helping others is a good thing, so long as those you choose to help are appreciative of what you do for them. I'll take the time to help just about anyone who is serious about the sport with their gear. My unofficial bow shop opens and people I have'nt seen sice last year magically appear on my doorstep.

I draw the line in giving up what took me perhaps years to aquire in the hunting woods. Only the closest of friends can go along to hunt... other than that, don't even think about using my stand locations without having a primo dental plan. If you're there when I get there, you're leaving.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never show your true "Honey Hole" to anyone but Your Kids or respected Hunting Partners or you will get bushwhacked!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:24 AM

I pick and chose who I have hunt with me. My brother in law brought a guy to our property last year and he killed a nice 10 pt. I am not crying or anything, however, I put the time and effort into hanging stands, scouting...It just pissed me off at the time. I will speak up this year if it happens again!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

WOW...what a great topic, I thought I was one of the rare ones to have been burned by "so called" hunting friends. I was INVITED to hunt a rather large parcel with another guy with a bow. The first year was uneventful, and basically just getting a feel for the land. Right after turkey season ended the following spring, he asked me my thoughts on what we could do to make the bowhunting better. I suggested moving pretty much all the stands and a couple of food plots. After having worked all summer on our plans, the one stand I was saving for the right time and wind was invaded opening morning by a kid of one of the other guys. I'm all for bringing youngsters into the sport, but they'll only learn what they're taught and is getting into someone else's stand right?? I DON'T THINK SO!
What angered me even more was the fact that the ONLY time this other guy and his kids were around was during the hunting seasons. I think if you don't put in the time scouting and the stand work, you don't deserve a big one. The one really nice one I have and the other decent ones have all come at a price of countless hours and hard work. It sickens me the way some people try to ride in on someone else's shirt tails all the time. I say grow a pair and DO IT YOURSELF.

Quick Reply: friendly direction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.