Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 friendly direction >

friendly direction

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

friendly direction

Old 09-13-2004, 12:35 PM

Default RE: friendly direction

yes that sucks so much,,,, we have a family farm and me being the only one to bowhunt it was great,, then my uncle and cousins decided to start hunting,, they wouldnt spend five minutes before seasen,, but then show up on opening dat and ask me where they should sit. I got tired of it and started leasing a large farm with my wifes dad and uncles,, they wouldnt scout either,, but i helped them out for the first three years,, but after wounding several good bucks, and not finding them,, i quit helping them.. I just go out and scout for myself, hang my stands, and have gotten a really good buck each year on opening morning... year before last one uncle got a little mouthy about me always killing a good buck and no one else never does.. Last year it was the same fight but it got really bad.. but good for me,, they all said they arent coming back this year,, cause they say there arent any good bucks on the farm,lol. now ive got control of the lease and can hand pick my partners, and establish some strict rules,, it can only get better.. cant wait
Old 09-13-2004, 12:44 PM

In reading the responces what I see is a clear picture. I don't doubt for one minute than we all would help someone learn what it takes to consistently get on a good deer. Luck plays into it a little but mostly it comes from walking the land and reading sign the 9 months of the year we can't hunt.

Putting someone on a stand and saying shoot the first 10 pointer that comes by dose them no good. Yes they killed a good buck but can they do it again on their own? If someone is willing to walk the countless miles all the time reading sign, studying maps and aerial photo they will learn what to look for and were to set up and what it takes. This is 100% more beneficial then letting them sit in your stand for an afternoon to kill a good buck.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

ok here goes,

About ten years ago I was invited by a friend to hunt one of his friend's private land. I just had knee problems so was a little hesitant to go along but all of them insisted. It was a long hike up the mountain and I told them that I would like to hunt the closest stand if it was all right with everyone. Sure they all said, Take my old tree stand on this hill, and he pointed to a worn down stan only about 10 ft up. I obliged and was starting my climb when the land owner asked me to do a favor for him.
He wanted me to take a doe if I could even though I didn't have a tag for that particular county we were in. I said that I would try but knew in my heart I wouldn't. After first light I hear movement coming from right to left and 2 doe pass in front of me at about 15 yds. I held the bow up but never drew on them. They passed by unalerted. Fifteen minutes later I see 2 deer coming from my right where the next hunter is posted. Thinking it was the same 2 doe I wasnt too excited. The lead doe was actually pushed out by the nose of the second deer whose head was down in the laurels. When it lifted its head I saw a decent rack and went into full draw. He walked right in front of me and I double lunged him at 18 yds.
I recovered him about 50 yds downhill towards the farm house, tagged him, gutted him out, and returned back to my stand.
At 10:00 (out planned meeting time at my stand) I let out a sharp whistle to announce my success.
They never arrived till 11:30, ant the only one happy for me was my buddy.
The young hunter to my right asked me what time I shot and when I told him, he said that he was drawing on that same buck but his arrow hit the riser and the 2 deer ran off. He claims that he heard my shot which is possible since he was only about 75 yds. away. I never asked him why he didn't answer my whistle because I could tell his family was upset with me shooting the buck and not the doe.

I have since invited this same group to hunt with us on a private farm and they did come once and ggot a nice 10 pointer.
But never again was I ever invited back to their property.
Whenever I look up on my office wall at the nice 8 pointer that I harvested on his land I often wonder if had done the right thing.
What do you think?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm sorry guys but I have a problem with your frustration. There is so much property out there for us bow hunters to hunt. We have access to property that gun hunters dream of. If you have limited hunting oportunity think outside the box.

I travel for a living and come across so much land and opportunity, I can't hunt it all. I couldn't afford all of the out of state fees. Next time your in a casual conversation, bring up the deer population problem. A few months ago I did this in Mississippi and got three offers to hunt in peoples backyards. Next time you approach that choice property you want access, tell them you will donate some or all of your kill to Hunters for the Hungry. See if that won't get you on that property (make sure you follow through with your commitment.).

These are only a few ideas of the many that are available. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. If you do you might find that your old honey hole isn't as good as your new one.

Good luck
Old 09-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is always someone out there to do somthin like that. like for me. i feel that way sometimes with my family cuz i live on a farm and i put up all the posted signs and scout and other stuff then they come up and hunt with me. and last couple of years they take a big buck. but i guess i keep doin it cuz there family. but my uncle and my oldest brother both come up regulary and go fishing or hunting with me so i enjoy it hunting with them. some of the other family memebers just come up and hunt with out talkin to me first. and that kinda makes me mad. but what can i do. i guess atleast someone in the family gets a big buck every year.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

or you take them to where the monsters hide out all day. Set them up in a tree the squirrels can't see you in.

Then when you come back it's like Paul Bunyon moved in with one of those dum saws and all the cover is laying on the ground and wrist size trees are laying across the trail they WERE using and there's not a limb left below 30 feet.

"Well, duh, what's the use be'n in a good spot if ya can't shoot any where?"

razaleeeldumfragizzmachalla cumpfra supmeptreh!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:33 PM

I guess I'm the sucker that friends call upon when their mothers roof is leaking or their sister needs a couch or refrigerator moved. But of all my buddies who have a wall full of nice mounts, none would ever let me into any of their spots; not even offer a lead. Well by way of persistence I recently gained access to a 65 acre farm only five minutes from my front door. I've posted the property for the old couple who own it, blocked entry trails that atv riders have made into their fields, and offered my service(I am a carpenter) to them if ever needed. I've recently moved to this area and have made a few new friends, but I just don't think I'm a big enough person to hand over what I've worked damn hard for without being sure the person is worth it. And please don't judge me because there is NOT alot of land in suburban NY or people willing to let you hunt it, at least not enough to accomodate the ammount of bowhunters. And I've said it before "In NY, it's not what you know, more often it's WHO you know">sad but true. That said I am always trying to be an ambassador to the sport and recruit new people to our ranks. But like somebody said already and I agree, What are you teaching someone by doing all the grunt work and putting them in a stand so they can shoot a nice buck their first time out. I think that kind of sacrifice will probably be reserved for if I ever have a child.