Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cold Weather Boot >

Cold Weather Boot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold Weather Boot

Old 09-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cold Weather Boot

last year at steamboat skiing it was -7 with 20mph wind. Ski boots are definately not warm and my feet never got cold. I use some kind of ultra thin poly liner and as thick of a wool sock as you can fit. NEVER wear cotten. I hunted in rocky 1000gram thinsulate with the same socks and also never got cold. good luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:57 AM

I live and hunt in the Buffalo, NY area. We have cold, damp weather from October through March. johnl is correct, one of the main reasons your feet get cold is because the average male sweats up to one quart of sweat in an eight hour period. Get a pair of wicking socks and a pair of synthetic wool socks, such as Smart Wool, alittle more (about 14.00) but worth every penny. Bass Pro has a pair of Merino Lambs wool socks which are very comfortable and guaranteed for life, if they wear out just return them for another pair - 10.00. I bought two pairs. Remember... COTTON KILLS!!! Stay away from athletic socks. I have been wearing Lacrosse Burly Rubber boots for years. When the snow is really falling I wear Rocky Snow Stalkers 1000 grain thinsulate about 100.00.

I also agree with most of the other posts: ARTIC SHIELD BOOT COVERS. All you have to do is take their dry ice test and you will be sold. I have also foung the gloves to work perfectly. I started using them before I got the boot covers, when I shoot 3-D in January. Wind chills get well below zero on alot of days and I have found the gloves to be lite weight and warm. My next Artic Shield purchase may be the hand muff, great during archey season, the jackets are tooo warm.

Remeber what your mother told you and what I tell my Hunter Safety Students, if your feet are cold...put on a hat, if you have one on, put on a warmer one. The body is a machine and this human machine loses the majority of its body heat through the head and feet. If the brain gets cold it will divert the blood flow to keep it warm and the further extremities lose out. Think about it... when you are out in the woods walking, what is the first thing your do when you try to cool down...take off your hat!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll second or third the notion of a pair of whickers and a layer of Smartwool socks. SmartWool has become my prime cold chaser from feet to my neck. The long johns are great, not itchy like wool and light and comfy with superior warmth. The long johns are expensive, but OHhhhh so cuddly. They don't come in BLUE!!!!!![&:].... but I can live with black. In the fridgid weather you still need some heavy Thinsulate or something in the boots. My son gave me a set of Artick Shield boot blankets for Xmas. I wish he had consulted me and bought a pair of the REAL boot blankets. The Artic Shield ones he got me are black, canvas like and hard to get on most of my boots. Accoring to the size chart they're the right ones, but they're a pain. The real Boot Blankets are better.