Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slick Trick question. >

Slick Trick question.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick Trick question.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Slick Trick question.

This is my first year using Slick Tricks and I was fortunate enough to take a doe with one on Saturday. I was a little disappointed when I recovered my arrow and the tip of the ferrule was blunted. The shot passed through and broke a rib going in and out and burried in the ground about 3". I'm just wondering if this should happen from this kind of shot. I really like the head a lot and the last thing I would do is say something bad about them but I'm just wondering if this should be considered unusual. I guess it's possible that it hit a rock in the ground, because I don't understand how bone could blunt the tip like that. What do you'll think? How often have you had to replace your ferrules? Thanks,
-Rob
Old 09-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick question.

Not from the deer, But if you hit a Rock after passing through, that will surely blunt it
Old 09-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is my second season with the slick tricks. I have had no damage from bone to mine. 5shot had no damage shooting them through a steel drum. I would suspect you hit a rock.

How was the hole and blood trail?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:18 PM

Hole's and blood trail were excellent as advertised. She went 40 and down. I'll go back and look for a rock to see if that's what happened. The tip isn't flat or rounded, but not nearly as sharp as it was before. Unfortunately I only ordered three. One got blunted, a second is burried deep in a pine tree after a doe ducked my string in the morning(notice I opted to leave that part of the story out). That leaves me with one until I can get more. I just didn't count on losing two on opening day. As much as I hate to say it, I may have to switch back to Muzzy's until I can get a good supply of Slick Tricks(2 week backorder[&:]) . I guess that's not too bad of a problem to have. I've got plenty of them.

-Rob
Old 09-14-2004, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a small file and sharpen the tip, it will get that head back in the game. As for switching back to Muzzys until you get more slick tricks, if they shoot well I don't see the problem LOL heck even though they are "old" they are still one of the best heads around.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's very normal if the head was driven into the ground - for any head. I wouldn't bother searching for the culprit. Congrats on your deer.

Also I agree with 5-shot, just file the tip to get it sharp again, a few grains off the head will not hurt anything.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:03 AM

5shot,
Thanks for the tip(no pun intended). I'm not too worried about switching back to Muzzy's, I just really like the Slick Tricks and I was excited about using a new head this season. I found some old Muzzy broadheads over the weekend from back around 94 or 95 and it seemed to me that the blades re-sharpened a lot easier and sharper than the newer blades do. Anyone else ever notice that?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:34 AM

This is obviously just my take on it, but given the performance you described, it would not bother me in the least to have to take a head out of service from time to time. I do not count on being able to re-use a broadhead after every kill, especially if it struck a bone or went into the ground very far. It sounds to me like that head performed its job.