Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thunderheads or Spitfire Mech? >

Thunderheads or Spitfire Mech?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thunderheads or Spitfire Mech?

Old 09-06-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Thunderheads or Spitfire Mech?

I have everything set up for the coming season with my Thunderhead 125's hitting dead on with my field points. I bought a package of 100gr spitfire "pro series" the other day and am considering using those but can't decide between the Thunderheads or the new Spitfires. Of course the Spitfires hit a little higher but not my much. Total weight of arrow with the Thunderheads is 396gr @ 291fps, with the Spitfires the total weight is 371grs @ 302fps. I have never used mechs. before and I am concerned I won't get complete penetration with the Spitfires. However, I bought them for the large cut. Which would you use and why? I want honest opinions now. Both have excellent groups up to 50yds.

Is 302fps too fast for the Spitfires??
Old 09-06-2004, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Thunderheads or Spitfire Mech?

If your Thunderheads are hitting dead on then I would shoot them. The only reason
I switched to mechanicals was because I was getting bad flight out of my fixed blades.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:59 PM

FYI

Spitfires you are getting 75.15 KE
Thunderheads gets you 74.48 KE

don't think you have to worry about a pass through with either.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

try the slicktrick broadheads. I recently tried them and they shoot exactly the same as my field points. I have shot thunderheads and they whistle in flight. the slick tricks are quiet and roughly the same cut diameter as the muzzy or thunderhead. you can view them at slicktrick.net. hope this might help ya.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:09 PM
RPL

Everything else being equal I would opt for the Thunderheads. I'm planning on using Thunderheads again myself. My bow shoots fixed broadheads to the same point of impact as field points so what I sometimes do is go mechanical if I hunt a green field and the wind is blowing pretty good. They supposedly drift less than conventional broadheads.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:19 PM
New Sheriff

I have everything set up for the coming season with my Thunderhead 125's hitting dead on with my field points.
Why change? If you can hit "dead on" with the Thunderheads at 50 yds then by all means use them.

BTW- I am the world's #1 believer in Spitfires.