Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thunderheads

Old 01-09-2002, 10:22 AM

Default Thunderheads

I am thinking of switching to thunderheads this year, Ive been using satelites 100gr. but they dont seem to keep a good edge. How do thunderheads keep there edge.

Mike
Old 01-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thunderheads

Hey, they call them "replacement blades" for a reason. Shoot them and toss them. I don't really toss them all, I keep some for practice and tuning. Once the "Hunting Arrow" is tuned it gets new inserts and isn't shot again until a deer is standing in front of it. If it hits the dirt it gets tested, retuned and new inserts. Thunderheads, Muzzy whatever.... they should all get new inserts for the hunt. I use the Thunderheads.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I shot Thunderheads for many years and always changed the replacable blades out when I finished practicing with them so that I had razor sharp heads for hunting.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:07 AM

I used to use the thunderheads and always found the edges very sharp. I kept several dull blades for practice and switched to new for hunting. Also, I would letter the broadhead and number my arrows. When sighting in with broadheads, I make a little chart of each combination. Then I shoot a bunch, keep the groupers and try new combinations with the flyers.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 01-09-2002, 11:12 AM

I didnt mean to sound like I use dull blades but when I shoot target I use a foam target It seems like they are shot after the first shot. They jsut seem to get very dull fast. I never thought of using old blades for target, must have had my head up my butt on that one lol thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Broadhead blades are like blades in a razor. They can lose the "razor" edge quick. Keep the dull ones for practice. Use new for hunting.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM

The sharper the blade, the quicker it will dull. It has to do with the angle of the grind. A 20 or 30 degree cut will be very sharp, but won't hold up as well as a 45 degree angle.

Paul
Old 01-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will tell you to switch from sattalite to the thunderheads for one reason, every satillite head I have tested has been junk! while the thunderheads are not my favorite head, they are very good and a much better choice. But you do have to replace the blades when they get dull, which they will.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Like everyone else,we replace the blades after shooting at deer or practicing.We tune our heads and don't shoot them again until an animal is the target.Every replacement type head will need new blades after being shot,replacement blades are not that expensive to buy.I use to shoot a Satelite broadhead,but they quit making the one I was using so I switched to Thunderheads,I think they're the best broadheads on the market.