Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3/4 inch groups ? >

3/4 inch groups ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3/4 inch groups ?

Old 09-02-2004, 09:31 AM

Default RE: 3/4 inch groups ?

Just curious? Why are you trying to shoot 1/2"-3/4" groups? If you're like me, you have split enough arrows to know not to try and group 'em together like that. I mean, do what you want in all, but I'd consider my words of wisdom. *why do you think they have multiple target dots on most archery targets?*
Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 AM

Ive been shooting for over 20 years and I still cant group consitantly under 3 inches at 30 yards. I can bust nocks at twenty though. Just keep practicing and be consitant. Something as minut as a change in back tension can open up a group.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:12 AM

Wow - what GREAT advice !

First, C903 asked about specs:
Hoyt DynaTec
65# draw weight
28" draw length
Toxonics sights
Hoyt Quicktune 3000 Micro rest
TruFire release
Beman 400 Camo Hunter carbons

Paul L Mohr and JeramyK asked how many arrows, how I measure, and how I did at closer ranges ....

Ooops ! I've been shooting 5 arows and measuring the groups with a regular ruler. Being anal, as I tend to be, I numbered my arrows and shoot them in order, then mark each hole in my target (a revised pistol target) with the arrow number that made it.

5 shot groups are 3", 3 shot groups are only slightly better - 2 3/4" @ 30 yards. At 20 yards (I also note the range on the target) are better - 2" is typical (3 shot), although I always manage a few 4" groups.

After reading what everyone posted, I went back out and tried a few things. My "anchor point" is consistent - (no kisser button) - but my thumb knuckle rests in the same place behind my jawbone every time, and my string touches the edge of my nose and tickles my mustache the same way.

The first improvement came from DoughBoy - while I wasn't gripping the bow while aiming (I keep my hand in sort of a "V" or more acurrately a "U" shape so I don't torque the bow) - but I did find that JUST as I was releasing - probably before the arrow cleared the rest - I DID GRAB THE BOW. I was also "peeking" instead of holding the shot.

CBM SC was also on the money - TRIGGER PUNCH. I know better - I shoot guns all the time - but I was shooting my bow like a shotgun (punch/slap) instead of like a pistol or rifle (squeeze). This stems from not being able to hold as steady with the bow as I can with a firearm. I concentrated on squeezing rather than slapping, and it brought the majority of the "fliers" back where they belong.

HAZCON - you're a genius. I was shooting at a 2" center (bull). I re-modified my target so that the center is only 1" - and holy cow !

FOr the past two weeks I've been actually logging my shooting on an Excel spreadsheet - you don't know if you're winning if you're not keeping score. I mean, some days I "thought" I was doing good, and others I "thought" I wasn't - now I KNOW. (I also know that I'm averaging 82 arrows a day, and I think I have been for the past 2 months, so I've probably shot well more than 2,000 arrows).

Anyway, after following the advice from everyone here, my groups, 3 shot and 5 shot, at 20 and 30 yards, have closed up by more than 1/2 an inch !

Sorry to ramble on - but I'm pretty excited over the nearly "instant" improvement. A very SINCERE thank you to everyone for their tips, and a special thanks for all the encouragement from everyone. You guys are great !

If anyone wants the spreadsheet that use to track my shooting or the target I use for scoring and measuring, email me and I'll send it to you. Some might wonder why anyone would do this ... well, they keep score in baseball and football - don't they ? This is the only way I could think of to measure performance and improvement ......

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be alarmed! if you went and watched these 3/4 inch group shooters you would find out they are not repeatable
I beg to differ - I am an expert marksman with a rifle or bow, very repeatable and I am not a pro nor have I ever competed in a tournament.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kimber, you sound like you've really put a lot of thought and energy into this. I'm glad you tried everyones ideas and some have worked for you.

The most important thing that I've read on this thread, which has been repeated over and over, is 3" groups at 30 yards is terrific for hunting situations so don't beat yourself up too much.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:01 PM

PRACTICE!!! PRACTICE!!! PRACTICE!!! AND MORE PRACTICE!!!

It took me 10 months and over 50,000 shots to get my hoyt UIltra tec down pat. now at 20 to 30 yards i can split arrows and i have a 1 inch group at 40 to 50 yards and have the confedence to shoot at a deer that far.

it just takes lots of PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm sure I've shot over 2,000 arrows
Oh, Grasshopper.... you're so impatient. I'm sure you could improve with some practice,.... like 2,000 arrows a week for the next couple years. You're at the point now where it really gets to the fine points of consistancy. Relax, release, follow through, match the arrows, ..... so many little things make a difference of an inch or two.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:44 AM

Best tip I ever got: Squeeze your shoulder blades together when aiming.

2nd best tip: HOLD that followthrough till after you hear the arrow hit!!!! Don't peak!!
Old 09-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember going to a Chuck Adams seminar years ago and everyone was impressed when he said he shot minute-of-angle "archery" groups out to 60 yards (we've come a long way since then). Since you're already doing that out to 30 yards, I would be happy with what you've accomplished to this point. There's still room for improvement, but you should be ready for deer hunting.