HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   3/4 inch groups ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/71108-3-4-inch-groups.html)

KimberRuger 09-01-2004 10:59 AM

3/4 inch groups ?

I'm new to bows/archery. I bought a bow before the start of last season figuring I'd practice for a year before going into the field with it. I'm sure I've shot over 2,000 arrows, but at 30 yards the best I can constently do is like 3", with my best ever being just over 1 1/2 inches.

I went to the bowshop after reading a post here from someone claiming to be shooting 3/4 inch groups because I thought my bow might be messed up. Nope nothing wrong with the bow. So I figured it must be me. The guy at the range watched me shoot a half dozen times and said he couldn't see where I was doing anything wrong.

Now, I know that without actually seeing me shoot it's pretty much impossible to say what it might be, but I'm hoping someone might be able (and willing) to give me a few tips on what to look for.

Generally, when the groups get larger, the arrows are off to the left, but from time to time they're "erratic" - some low, some high, and a few to the right. I'm pretty sure the bowshop knows what they're doing, and it's not the bow, - the only problem is the "nut that holds the release".

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.

Rack-attack 09-01-2004 11:02 AM

RE: 3/4 inch groups ?

I'm sure I've shot over 2,000 arrows
Shoot around 10,000 more and you will be there:D

It don't come overnight;)

greg-dude 09-01-2004 11:11 AM

Are you talking about three inch groups around the bullseye? If you are, that's not bad for hunting situations at 30 yards. There are always ways of improvement. Mostly, a correct and consistent shooting style.

dough boy 09-01-2004 11:12 AM

Do not get discouraged!!! I have been bow hunting for 10+ years now, and I need to fine tune not just my bow, but my shooting form. Here are a couple of things that might help. 1) Hold your follow thru on every shot. This is important because if you grab your bow after you shot, it may be throwing your arrows off. 2) Relax your bow hand. I hold my bow with little tension on my bow hand. I do not grip the bow until I shot and hold my follow thru. 3) Bend your elbow on your bow arm. When you hold your bow, if you are not already, bend your elbow slightly. This helps with the tension in you arm, as well as building up arm strength. I hopes this helps a little bit. I know you say you shot over 2,000 arrows, but I am here to tell you it will take more than that to develop the shooting form you are looking for. GOOD LUCK!!!

ButchA 09-01-2004 11:16 AM

I've been shooting my old PSE bow for roughly 3 1/2 years now. Rack Attack is right. It don't come overnight....

My best is 1/2" groups at 20 yards, 3/4" groups at 25. At 30 yards, I'm still okay and can do about 1" groups (when I can do it). 40 yards - I don't even try to group, because I'm a bit unsteady at that range.[:-]

I'm sure I don't have to say it, but the keyword is PRACTICE.

Butch A.

gutshot 09-01-2004 11:41 AM

Keep up the good work. Another thing you want to keep in mind is that people exaggerate too. I've been shooting 27 years and my groups are just about like yours. My brother on the other hand has been shooting about as long as I have and he can shoot circles around me. So don't get discouraged some people can shoot tighter groups then others, that's just the way that it is.

ncbowhunter 09-01-2004 11:42 AM

Three inch groups at 30 yards is good enough for bow hunting,Unless your hunting out West where there is no cover. Most of your shots should be within 25 yards.

michigandrake 09-01-2004 12:01 PM

I have been bowhunting for 20+ years and really can't do much better than that on consistent basis. If you can shot that type of group with you hunting setup you should be ready to go.

Good Luck

PAhunterJEN 09-01-2004 12:08 PM

This is an interesting thread....
I don't group that well either but then I have only been shooting archery for 2 going on three years. A couple of things I've learned are:
1) Do not squeeze the bow as you're ready to shoot. I was always gripping tight and my brother noticed this and told me hold the box steady but not squeeze the fingers tight.
2) This year I learned that I sometimes pull my string towards me with the release - not just straight back. This explains why I would constantly shoot to the left. (I'm left-handed by the way) I kept thinking this was caused by my sight so I kept adjusting it and got the same results. Now I know not to 'pull' the string and the arrows fly straight.

Just my two cents...let's hear more from others.....

adams 09-01-2004 12:09 PM

If you can shoot a 3 inch group at 30 yards you are capable of taking a deer at 30 yards. I know you're striving for perfection as you should but it takes time. I started shooting a bow almost 12 years ago. I have good days when it's necessary to shoot at diffrent targets to avoid ruining arrows and I have day2 that don't care to discuss. If you can consistantly shoot a 3" group @ 30yds you ready for the woods. If you keep shooting and practicing with good form you're groups will tighten with time.

Keep shooting and having fun, That's what it's all about;)