Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A back up bow?

Old 08-31-2004, 10:00 PM

Default A back up bow?

Given how far I travel and what it costs to hunt, I've concluded it would be wise to have a back up bow. I've been watching ebay for some time to pick up a back up(I presently shoot a 02 Bowtech Patriot). I was at the local Sportsmans Wharehouse and asked when they would discout the 04s to make room for the 05s. I was told they didn't know but they still had a few 03s in stock including a sc Patriot for $409. I was pretty excited as I understand there is/was very little difference between the o4 and 03 Patriots. Now I have to decide how to outfit the rest of the bow. My inclination is to set it up the same as my 02: quick tune 1000, spot-hog real deal and an Alpine quiver. I have been contemplating a drop away rest but am leaning towrards setting up the bows the same. This way, the only difference will be the narrowness of the grip and a little different balance point. (The 02 feels top heavy). Any thoughts on how to set up the "back up"? I wonder which one will be the back up?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A back up bow?

I was pretty excited as I understand there is/was very little difference between the o4 and 03 Patriots.
There are more differences than you think there is.

The 04's have a thinner grip, roller bearings, pivioting limb pockets plus new string and cable material (TS1) not to mention different camo and the cam has been smoothed out some.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always demoted the older bow to backup. But that's just me.

If you were happy with the setup of your 02' then it would keep the new setup the same. However it would also be a good time to maybe try out a different rest, sight, etc. if you had been thinking about doing so.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: elkaddict

I was pretty excited as I understand there is/was very little difference between the o4 and 03 Patriots.
I think there is a big difference. Ausie mentioned all of them. The needle bearing in the 04's gain you 8fps on the 03's ( I think). Grip and camo are better (imo). And the hush kit is a little better.