Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DEER DRIVE ON OLN >

DEER DRIVE ON OLN

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DEER DRIVE ON OLN

Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 PM

Default RE: DEER DRIVE ON OLN

I didn't see the show, no need to. As hunters the anti's love to see us bickering over what is a god way to hunt and what is not, they love to divide us. Here is what happens when they do get hunters in fighting. This fall in Maine we have a referendum to close down bear hunting over bait, with dogs and trapping. You can't believe how some hunters are supporting this ballot. The US Humane society loves to see hunters doing thier job to try and end all hunting, it really makes thier job easy. I am a spokesman for the coalition to fight this anti hunting ballot. In a nut shell, we should all be pro choice hunters, let hunters choose the method they want to hunt and for those who disagree with certain practices, simply don't participate. When hunters start siding with anti's and try to decide what is ethical and what is not and they further the no hunting agenda ,thinking it will never affect thier method of hunting down the road, we all lose. As I tell my audiences, if you think hunting over bait for bear is unethical that's fine, then don't hunt that way, but don't try to force your ideology or you ethics on me. I live in this counrty because we have the right to make our own choices and that should be respected. So, quite passing judgment on any legal means of hunting. If you don't agree with big deer drives where hunters fill deer with buck shot great, don't participate, but for cying out loud stop the bitching. Someday you may find yourself having to fight for the right to hunt, like we are here in Maine. It aint pretty.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ive been a member of a hunting club for over 12 years and we do primarily deer drives. Although there are things i dont like about driving deer it does get the job done. I have seen several nice bucks taken this way. There has been several occasions where we talked to hunters after a drive that were stand hunting in the middle of our drive that took a deer because of our drive. Many of them had hunted that area for days and hadnt seen a deer until we drove through and put one in their laps. As far as safety we have never had anyone injured and the club has done this for like 40 or 50 years. When there is alot of pressure and the deer arent moving very well a good cooridated drive does wonders. There are downsides though, you have to be on the money or deer can EASILY slip by you and when hunting in an area with other hunters you tend to disturb and anger other hunters. I plan on taking a year or two off from the club this year to really get out and find a nice buck. I have had alot of fun on deer drives and yes i have come out of the woods very mad and irritated over them too. I guess to each their own whatever makes you happy and puts venison on your table. So i see the good points and bad points to deer drives and realize that everyone has the right to their opion. Heck even the idians used to do drives.

Dave
Old 08-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Hey CJW Iam south of the Quadcitties about 30miles .
Old 08-25-2004, 05:37 PM

Bloodtrail,thank you for your response and I respect your views on the subject.On a side note I grew up hunting in Rockingham Co. Va. and opening day of firearms for deer was a holiday also.Schools were even closed and alot of stores would be closed for the 1st day or 2.
That was years ago so Dont no if they still honor that tradition...
Old 08-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

Time to be hated

I cant see how we all are part of a fighting group of people, fighting to keep whats ours. Some people chose to hunt with bow and arrow and some with rifles. Which ever way one choses they are all part of our group as hunters. Some may not fit in our "Style" but we all come from different areas and back grounds, and I cant pick the method of hunting that you do and I dont think that you should tell me mine is wrong or right.

If we lose 1 step in our battle we lose the climb, support HUNTING and all methods its done and together we will remain strong. Devide and protest and we lose the battle.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Legal or not does not make it right and it certainly doesn't mean it is something that I want to be seen on TV with the possibility of someone thinking that is something I partake in or am a part of.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:58 AM

Pocomoke,

Not as big a deal anymore. No school closings or anything like that. I believe hunter numbers are down. Rockingham sure does have good hunting still. I can see why you got hooked. I hunt in Bedford. Mountain deer mostly.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:30 AM

If I may put in my 2 cents worth. I don't feel it's right to criticize how others choose to hunt. They have the right to hunt as they please. I choose to bowhunt. As a bowhunter in western Ga I've been looked down on a bit. I hunt only with a bow. But I enjoy hunting for other reasons than killing a deer. On the other hand. If I grew up hunting differently perhaps my perspective would be different. In the whole sceme of things we are all bound by the fact that we are all hunters and should support one another.
As for the video I don't mind it being shown at all. It's an aspect of hunting I'd rather show the video and say yes that is a part of the sport than to try and hide it. Would you be angry if a video came on showing a way to skin or clean a deer. Of course not. But non hunters would have something to say of course. I understand you not liking the message it may send but we can't condem them from doing what they think is fine. Again, just like anything else there are good and bad sides. Only difference is I would choose to let all sides be openly seen. That way there is less confusion. lol Just look at the Catholic church. lol If us catholics just said yea we have a few bad apples then it wouldnt be such a big deal when they get caught. Just my humble honest opinion.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

also on that stupid show, every shot was a running shot. I saw a guy take a running shot at a doe on the skyline. I hate shows like this, they make us all look bad!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

So this type of hunting is disgusting? I personally have never done it but I actually like the idea behind it. If all the holy then thow's out there can explain how this is any worse than a sluaghter house. You guys are doing the same thing you criticize the anti's for. If it is somthing you disagree with dont do it, but bad mouthing it and ruining it for others is not healthy for the entire hunting community or yourselves. I guess none of you buy meat at the butcher....That is alot more humane than hunting drives...seeing that they are caged and slaughter for food. Sledge hammer to the head and knives to the throat. You are producing vast amounts of nonsense and should think before you speak.

Quick Reply: DEER DRIVE ON OLN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.