HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   DEER DRIVE ON OLN (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/70165-deer-drive-oln.html)

wolfen68 08-24-2004 03:24 PM

DEER DRIVE ON OLN

I had the displeasure of watching OLN last night. It was a show featuring a multitude of "hunters" in head-to-toe blaze orange converging on a hillside harboring unsuspecting deer. First off, as safe as these folks claim to be and even want to be, it looked to me to be about as dangerous as running through downtown Najaf wearing an American Flag. Lead flying through the air everywhere. It pretty much reminded me of upland bird hunting but with a much larger target that can't fly or even hide but can take lots and lots more buck shot before going down. From what I saw all kills were a group effort with more than one gun being involved. No care was made as to what was shot at....it was the ole addage, "if it's brown, it's down" in full form. However, it seemed that the one closest to the deer when it finally died with an extra 50lbs of lead shot was the lucky one to claim "their" deer. I hope friends and family that may see a show like this realize that when I bow hunt, it is absolutely dissimilar to anything remotely similar to this "style" of "hunting".

StandSitter 08-24-2004 03:31 PM

RE: DEER DRIVE ON OLN

I totally agree!!! I saw that same lame-a** excuse for a "hunting program." It was a massacre, not a hunt. A hunt is studying your territory, knowing patterns of those few elusive deer, changing stand locations with wind patterns, etc...not popping off all 7 shots in your mag trying to down a herd of confused and shaken deer.

But, then again, I gave up stand hunting with a rifle to join this sport...and I already feel a little more "respectable" when talking to others about hunting...and I haven't even harvested a deer with a bow yet. Sniper-style gun hunts are one thing...massacres that include 35 shooters on one hillside is something completely different...disgusting.

I already know that if I go this entire season without getting one good shot at a good deer with my bow, I have already had more fun than I ever did gun hunting.

wolfen68 08-24-2004 03:33 PM

StandSitter...I hear ya;)

TheBassMan 08-24-2004 03:54 PM

Yeah i saw it to, and i didnt agree with it. For me think it just gives the anti's something more to complain about. I mean there where people everywhere and it is a mirical that no one was hurt.

cardeer 08-24-2004 04:12 PM

I've been watching crap like that for years in my area. there are groups around here that act like that. they surround every little stand of trees and run the deer in to the field and the war begins. Then they throw the deer on piles in their trucks and continue on till all doe tags are filled.

BLACKTALON 08-24-2004 04:32 PM

That crap is disgusting.[:'(][:@]

It's even legal here in NC to chase deer with dogs, and too me that's disgusting too. Example: My father tried it once on an invite, and sat in a truck for about 6 hours, running the roads, listening to CB radio static, and dog collar beeps. Then, when the dogs chased the deer to a place where they could "take 'em", over half a dozen people fired at the same time.[:@] There ended up being more than 50, yep, fifty buckshot pellets in that one deer. There was probably less than 20lbs of edible meat left.[:'(]

wesbowhunt 08-24-2004 06:15 PM

How would a drive be enjoyable?
i saw it[:'(][:'(

DR KILL 08-24-2004 06:49 PM

MY FATHER AND I, PERFORM 2 MAN DEER DRIVES WITH OUR BOWS , I DID NOT SEE THE SHOW BUT IN OUR CASE WE HAVE PERMISION ON 4 ACERS WITCH IS A BRUSH FIELD , WITH PRIVATE PROPERTY SUROUNDING IT , MY FATHER CIRCLES THE WOODS AND CALMLY *****FOOTS THROUGH THE BRUSH IN MY DIRECTION , THE DEER SMELL HIM AND HERE HIM SO THEY CALMLY AND SLOWLY MOVE IN MY DIRECTION IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM, HE HAS ALSO TAKEN A NICE BUCK BEDDED IN THE THICKETS WHILE WALKING TO ME ,,,,,,,,,,,,, WE ARE DOING THIS WITH OUR BOWS AND I THINK ITS OK TO DO THIS , THATS JUST MY O

justhuntitall 08-24-2004 07:03 PM

We do bow and gun drive where I live . And I have to disagree with most of you .It is a very productive way of harvesting deer If your not a slob hunter.

When we do drives we try to walk the deer out still hunt to the standers its a good way to take a nocternal buck.

And why knock the way anthor man hunts as long as he dont bother you!

You sound like a bunch of libs.

Twisted Arrow 08-24-2004 07:11 PM

you all should be down here in North Carolina where the state allows the use of hound dogs to run deer , and they call that crap hunting , BULL_____!!! they trun out a pack of dogs and sit in their trucks talking back and forth on the CB radio's telling each other what they here and what they are hearing as far as the dogd running is concerned . and they all wonder why people like me do nothing but BOWHUNT. DAMN A DOG .