Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 can you shoot a doe that has a yearling with her? >

can you shoot a doe that has a yearling with her?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can you shoot a doe that has a yearling with her?

Old 08-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: can you shoot a doe that has a yearling with her?

great article, thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: trophyhuntr

never have and never will, i do have somewhat of a heart

What exactly to you mean by this statement....are you stating that those that do shoot does with fawns "don't" have a heart?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:32 PM

What exactly to you mean by this statement....are you stating that those that do shoot does with fawns "don't" have a heart?
You will if you aim carefully, unless you leave it in the gut pile. I wouldn't dream of wasteing a perfectly good heart. I'll give to the oldtimer I know who'll eat it.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: adams

You will if you aim carefully, unless you leave it in the gut pile. I wouldn't dream of wasteing a perfectly good heart. I'll give to the oldtimer I know who'll eat it.
Lets not forget the Deer Balls now. You boys in Texas had better be recovering them. It's a fine for not recovering all edible parts.

Could I shoot a Doe with a yearling. If I was meat hunting, the yearling is dead. Now if I wanted more meat, I would shoot the Doe first. If you drop her on the spot, the yearling will stay and give you an easy shot.

The above statement is only that, a statement. I do not ever acknowledge to have performed such fun shooting on one or even two yearlings.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

The fawn will be fine with out the mother. However, I will not do it. I just don't want to leave an orphan out there when I could just kill another doe. I know all about dispersement etc. I just don't do it as a matter of personal preference.
It's hard to find "another doe" without a yearling early in the season. Those fawns may just be lagging behind her if you do see one alone.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard to find "another doe" without a yearling early in the season. Those fawns may just be lagging behind her if you do see one alone.
I don't see many does leading little ones. Most of the time it is the other way around. It is not uncommon to see does without fawns in the early season where I hunt. I just have to assume if a doe comes by and nothing comes by after her that she doesn't have fawns, especially when she is dry. However, mistakes can always be made no matter what the topic is. I will not intentionally shoot a doe with a little one and I normally won't shoot a doe at all unless I have been able to watch her for a few minutes. If it turns out that she has fawns at that point, which it hasn't yet, then I did the best I could.

I actually have a couple of dry does spotted out that I have been watching. I am hoping to get a shot at one of them and let my wife get a shot at the other.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:44 PM

I agree with most others.....by the time hunting season rolls around the fawns are old enough to take care of themselves. Fawns will hookup with other doe and fawns and become part of that group. They won't be orphaned like someone has said. Maybe from mom, but some doe will "foster" the youngin.