Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To late to hang stands? >

To late to hang stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To late to hang stands?

Old 08-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To late to hang stands?

I'll be hanging and trimming this weekend myself......mid day low impact.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have hung many stands in which i saw a big buck that night as long as you keep the metal noises to a minimum you will be fine even on the same day you will hunt just make sure where ever you put your stands so that the deer will still be feeding there in a month or two
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do what u want my friend, but i went last weekend just checkin on things and spider webs, heat, and all that other stuff wasnt very pleasant for me and my 7yr old, who will be 8 in august(i am so excited this is a very important age for me, my dad died when i was that age) i am going to take him to fallsville 1september for opening dove season, he will have to miss school because its a wednesday and i am calling in sick, so we are going to play hookie,lol Sorry got off on a tangent, it is not too late i would reckon, but i like to stay out of my area as much as possible.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:45 AM

[8D]ITS NOT TO LATE TO HANG STANDS ILL BE DOING IT THIS WEEKEND!JUST LIKE AFEW OTHER POST JUST TRY TO GO IN IN THE AFTERNOON, AND TRY TO BE SCENT FREE!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:05 PM

I have on occasion seen deer out of a stand I hung the same day. The key is not to get busted in there and to not leave a lot of scent.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely hang mine any earlier than a week before season. I don't buy into that stuff about the deer vacating the area if you go in. Every year I have bucks that walk on my trail that I enter the woods on and come right up to my stand. I have had them sniff my tree steps too. I've not had that philosophy apply in my case.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Well, seeing how I move around in my climber ALL the time and reposition stands all during the season... I don't think it's too late. Do it low impact. In at mid day or even in the night when they're out in the fields if it's near the bedding area. I've gone so far as to hang a stand in a down pour after dark a couple days before the season came in with great success. Think, don't stink... and you can make it work. Don't be cutting down the woods though.
Can't agree more or say it any better than that. Nice post.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

By far - the best time to hunt a stand is the day you hang it. At least that's been my experience.

Sometimes I'll move a stand 100 ft, just so I'm not hunting exactly where I was a day or two before.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:16 AM

I try to stay mobile all year as deer patterns change. As far as getting set for the opener, I will begin doing that here in another week. I like to hunt an area for about the first few days after I move a stand - that is of course with very little trimming needed and the weather/wind cooperates.