Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 inserts coming out >

inserts coming out

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

inserts coming out

Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default inserts coming out

I have just switched to carben arrows and put my inserts in with epoxy. Last night while pulling the arrows out of a 3d target the inserts and field points stay in the target.

I have used epoxy on allui. arrows before with no problem before is this not a good idea with carben?

I like the speed I get out of the carben but don't want to keep this up.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:59 AM

Default RE: inserts coming out

A couple of questions.

What type of epoxy did you use? 5 minute of 24 hour?

Did you use a fine 2000+ grit sand paper to scuff the inside of the shaft where you glue in the insert?

Both of these thing can make a diffrence. I always install my inserts to insure they are done to my specs. It takes a little longer but you'll know it's done right.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I used the 5 min kind. I did scuff the insides of the arrow but maybe not good enough huh.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 AM

Any scuffing is enough. I do very little so I don't compermise the integeity of the shaft. I believe the 5 minute apoxy is the culprit. The 5 minute varity dries very quickly but is very brittle. As the inserts fall out(and yes, they will continue to) clean them up and rescuff the inside of the shaft. The reinstall them using a 24 hour apoxy and you issue should be solved.

Let us know how you make
Old 08-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Adams. I am going to try to get the rest out this weekend and redo them.
I'm haeding to Ky next month and don't want ant thing I do to cause me to have a non-productive trip.

Thanks again
Old 08-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had that problem with my ICS hunter arrows that are carbon , i took them to the proshop and asked how to stop it , they told me surprisingly .... jsut get some cling wrap or plastic wrap from what u package leftovers from dinner with , rip off a small piece and put it over the end of the insert aht you place in the arrow shaft itself .... it wedges it tight and holds ...
Old 08-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

i use steel force's beyond bond glue with their excellerator and it dires extremely fast and holds very very well i cant be happier by the way did you clean the inside of your arrows with a solution after scuffing if not there could have been dust that the expoxy was sticking to
Old 08-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

JB weld
Old 08-05-2004, 11:59 PM

im having the same prob. & i had them inserted at the bass pro shops & i think the guy that done it used the 5 min epoxy & bout 6 outta the dozen i have lost the inserts & my practice tips where coming out in the target so imma goin to take em out & use the 24 hr epoxy
Old 08-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Super glue. Epoxy does not hold them as well as super glue, goat tuff, hot stuff, or any of the other types of super glue.

Quick Reply: inserts coming out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.